Saturday, November 1, 2008

Playing With Fire

After Husband and I roasted our S'mores and hot dogs last night, I stayed sitting there by the fire......several cats joining me to take advantage of the slowly dying warmth of the flames.
I began poking at the embers with a stick........sparks flew, and I decided to see what they would look like in a photograph.
All the while, Jack's friendly face watched over the proceedings.


Anyhow......these pictures are pointless, I know, but fascinating in their own odd way.


Perhaps the title of this post should have included the word "SPAGHETTI"!

I hope your Halloween evening was fun! We had one trick-or-treater, shown in the previous post. Weatherwise, the whole day was absolutely gorgeous, sunny and in the 70's. Who could ask for anything better on the last day of October! Sitting outdoors last evening was pleasant, too.....quite still, with a background of crickets chirping and corn dryers and combines humming.
*
*
Let's see......today is All Saints Day---Hallowmas---the day to remember those who have gone on to Heaven and tomorrow is All Soul's Day, to remember those souls still in Purgatory (I wonder if the Catholics still believe in Purgatory?). I'm only mentioning these little-known holidays because I wish to say this: Those folks who are removing the word Christmas from everything really need to also consider getting rid of the word Halloween, for it means "All Hallow's Eve" which refers to a Christian holy day, of course. A new name for Halloween will need to be chosen......how about "Festival of Pumpkins" or "Orange & Black Day"........you surely have some better ideas. (Hopefully you readers realize that I'm being sarcastic here----my opinion is that its ridiculous and sad for the word "Christmas" to be thrown out. Just so you understand that.)



6 comments:

Country Girl said...

As far as I know, Catholics still believe in Purgatory.

And I love your pointless and fascinating musings by the fire!

Caution/Lisa said...

Love that spaghetti and love the way your mind works, too.

DesertHen said...

Love those fire photos. Now I want to go build a fire to enjoy...but alas there is no wood around for that.

Pat - Arkansas said...

The fire photos are fantastic! Well done, J!

Liked your rambling musings, too. "Christmas" will always be part of my vocabulary. I hope Halloween will stay around for a while. Politcal correctness has gone too far, in many instances.

Odd Chick said...

I love the second photograph. It looks like an ancient mask behind the fire - a little spooky, and wonderfully spirit-ee.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I haven't sat out by a fire for the longest time. It sounds like fun.