Thursday, November 20, 2008

Sky Watch #19

Welcome.......today is SkyWatch Friday's 19th edition. I missed a few along the way, most likely. Please visit the official SkyWatch site to find links to participants from around world. Many thanks to the SkyWatch team.....Klaus, Sandy, Ivar, Wren, Fishing Guy, Louise!
*
On Tuesday of this week, the mid-morning sky appeared as shown below. WARNING......gazing at this zigzag sky for very long could trigger a headache! If anyone knows the scientific name of this type of cloud formation, please mention it in a comment......thanks!
[Dewdrop stopped by to identify the above cloud formation.......
it is Altocumulus undulatus. Thank you, Dewdrop!!]
*
Last Friday, right after completing my SkyWatch blogpost, I headed outdoors for an afternoon walk and was greeted by the sight of a parhelion, also known as a "sun dog". Can you find it in the photo below?


*
These scenes come to you from northeast Iowa, USA. Thanks for stopping by!
Happy SkyWatching!
*



23 comments:

Leedra said...

Beautiful skies, great for skywatch.

SaraG said...

Great photo's!
Take care.

Pat - Arkansas said...

Too Kewl, Jeannelle! Love that sun dog photo!

Photo Cache said...

I love the first one, it's so cool.

EG CameraGirl said...

Nice skies over Iowa!

Anonymous said...

Oh the first one is very impressive Jeannelle. I guess I should stick my head out more often, but the wind is ugly and it sounds frigid out there!

Pretty Life Online said...

great catch! Happy SkyWatching! I am back now... Hope you'll visit mine too...

Anonymous said...

Your first sky picture is a more complete image of what I captured in mine! Lovely post.

Jane Hards Photography said...

Wonderful peppered sky.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jeannelle: That first on is a beautiful capture of those fluffy clouds. Tell #6 Dewdrop you want her to drop by and she will name the clouds for you.

Adventure girl said...

OMW! That first one is nuts, amazing! Super gorgeous!

Laura ~Peach~ said...

cool photos... love the sun dog I dont think i have ever seen one in person!

Jeannelle said...

Thank you all for stopping by! Now, I'm off to visit your SkyWatch posts, too!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I think northeast Iowa has great skies. I've never seen zig-zag clouds.

Suz Broughton said...

My, that first shot is amazing. So beautiful.

Grammy said...

Great photos.I love the ripple affect . We had lots of cloud's here in Mo. too.
Happy skywatch friday!

Dewdrop said...

Beautiful capture of altocumulus undulatus clouds. Check out this link for more information about that cloud type. Some refer to it as a mackerel sky or even a herringbone sky because of the wavy ripples. Your capture is almost perfect!

The Good Life in Virginia said...

that capture of the clouds in the first photograph is awesome...thanks for sharing...

Louise said...

Love both of these photos. The first one definitely could give one a headache, but it certainly is interesting! Great post!

Anonymous said...

I had never heard of a sun dog, or parhelion, before this. Thanks for the bit of knowledge. I'm sure I'll be pointing out sun dogs to people for the rest of my life, now.

Jeannelle said...

Thank you all for visiting and for your thoughtful comments. Thank you, Dewdrop, for the link to the cloud info.

Because I've known about sundogs for as long as I can remember, it surprises me when folks say they've never heard of such a thing. Sundogs must be less common in some areas. Its been only recently that I their scientific name, "parhelion", though.

DesertHen said...

What beautiful cloud photos.

I just recieved a guide about clouds in the office today...it shows all different kinds of photos of clouds and identifies them all....very cool.

angie {the arthur clan} said...

The first photo does make your eyes go a little wonky if you look at it to long...but I love it! Beautiful SWF photos.