Sunday, December 28, 2008

Holiday in Rome

Usually, I post stained-glass church window photos on Sundays, along with a religious theme, but I'm fresh out of such photos, and though I probably could conjure up something to write on the subject of religion, I'm instead choosing to chatter about a favorite movie, Roman Holiday. It takes place in Rome---obviously---a city closely tied to the historic Christian Church.......that will have to suffice for a religious theme today!
*
Roman Holiday features Audrey Hepburn, Gregory Peck, and Eddie Albert. While shopping for Christmas gifts last week, I sneaked one into the cart for myself......the new restored DVD version of this 1953 movie. Daughter and I watched in on Friday afternoon, along with some of the extra features included on an accompanying DVD: a bio of Audrey Hepburn and highlights from her film career. Did you know her mother was a Dutch baroness? Audrey was born in Belgium and grew up in Holland during the difficulties and deprivation of the Nazi occupation there during World War II.
*
Here's more info about Roman Holiday (from a booklet included with the DVD): The film received 10 Academy Award nominations and won three.....for Best Actress (Audrey Hepburn), Best Story, and Costumes (Edith Head). In 1999, "Roman Holiday" was selected for preservation in the U.S. National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being 'culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant.' Eventually, the Academy sought to correct some of the injustices they had made during the Communist witch-hunt; although Dalton Trumbo had died in 1976, his widow was finally presented with an Oscar in 1993.....for the "Roman Holiday" story.
*
Roman Holiday was one of the first movies to be filmed on location.......in this case, the setting being Rome, of course. For me, the film is a fascinating travelogue of that ancient city.
Aha.......here's one of my favorite scenes........Ann and Joe Bradley encountering
Brocca Della Verita, "The Mouth of Truth".
Supposedly, Audrey Hepburn's reaction to Gregory Peck "losing" his hand is authentic and unrehearsed......Peck had planned ahead of time to play this trick on Hepburn during the shooting of this scene at "The Mouth of Truth" in Rome.

*
Hey, during this holiday season, why don't you consider taking in a Roman Holiday, too!
*
*

8 comments:

Gail said...

I did not know all those facts about this lovely movie. Thank you! A good day is when I learn something.

Deb said...

I haven't seen this movie in years. As a child, I used to like anything Edith Head designed...funny that I remembered that.
Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Sarah Katie said...

One of my favorite movies. I usually borrow the DVD from my gramma at least once a year. I just can't seem to get enough Audrey Hepburn, and I absolutely love Gregory Peck. That probably sounds crazy coming out of a 17-year-old. I just love old movies though. Probably because I always watched them when I was younger.

Trish said...

I LOVE personal movie reviews. I haven't seen this...perfect for a snuggle by the fireplace and with the cold outside...thanks.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Gail,

Yes, this is a delightful movie, although a wee bit sad at the end.

********

Hi, Deb,

Wow.....that's impressive, being aware of Edith Head when you were a kid!

*********

Hi, Sarah Katie,

You're certainly not crazy! Probably you're more un-crazy than most people your age. Audrey Hepburn's persona is unique and special, and I always liked Gregory Peck, too, even when I was young like you. "Old" movies are the great.....keep watching them!

*********

Hi, Trish,

Oh, you really should find a chance to watch Roman Holiday.....it will make you smile!

DesertHen said...

I have never seen this movie....but it is on my list of movies to watch now. Maybe I can get it and watch it on New Year's eve. I love Audrey Hepburn...such a lovey graceful lady she was!!

Gigi Ann said...

How did I miss this post? I love this movie. I have been watching some old movies recently also. I don't have this one on tape, so will have to watch for it to play on TCM sometime.

Jeannelle said...

Deserthen and Gramma Ann,

Yes, I hope you get a chance to watch this delightful movie!