Friday, December 26, 2008

Second Christmas

Seeing double, are you??

Happy Second Christmas!

*
A double Christmas, you ask?? You ARE celebrating it today, aren't you?

*
Years ago, when first becoming acquainted with my husband's family, I learned about something called, "Second Christmas". His grandmother usually hosted it. At Thanksgiving each year, she would say, "I'll be having Second Christmas......be sure you come."

*
The term "Second Christmas" was a bit perplexing and I initially assumed it was simply a quirk celebration in my husband's family. Eventually, I found out that the Lutherans used to have a church service on Second Christmas, indicating that December 26th had some sort of official religious holiday designation.
*
One of the guys who hauls our milk rents farmland in the Old Order Amish community not far from here. In the winter he also hires out with his tractor to clear snow from Amish farmyards. Recently he told us that the Amish celebrate Christmas for two days......the 25th and 26th. Incidently, they also will not allow him to do farm work on Amish-owned land on Good Friday each year. I would imagine that might hold true for Sundays, too.
*
An internet search turned up a few references to "Second Christmas". It is an old German tradition and the day, known as Zweite Weihnachtstag (Second Christmas Day), is still an official holiday in Germany, I believe. It provides an excuse for another day of Christmas feasting and merriment! Probably, the multi-day festival harks back to the week or so of feasting done at this winter solstice time of year in pre-Christian Germanic tribes, too.
*
Here's a link which mentions "Second Christmas".

*
And, here's another.

*
And, yes......one more.
*
ENJOY SECOND CHRISTMAS!!
*
[How is the weather where you are? Its snowy here, again. Our married daughter and her husband are here for a couple days, and our married son and his wife are in the vicinity, alternating visits between her parents' home in Readlyn and our place. So, we will be content to stay home and celebrate "Second Christmas" by continuing to feast---on leftovers from yesterday's dinner, and and the holiday sweet treats that have accumulated. Oh, my......crucial it is to make the effort to bundle up and get myself outdoors to WALK off some of the unneeded calories. Its difficult to get thusly motivated in this icy cold weather, though. Why, oh, why is it so easy to keep on eating??!]
*
*

12 comments:

Gail said...

New Year, that's when you work on the calories!
It is so wonderful your family gets to share the season with you.
No snow here today. I think it is supposed to warm up and rains are coming in.
Enjoy your day!

rhymeswithplague said...

I am not awake yet (because we stayed up so late last night talking) and managed to put my comment for this post on the previous post. You'll just have to go look there!

Laura ~Peach~ said...

because it tastes so darn good!!!! merry second christmas to you!

Pat - Arkansas said...

And a Happy Second Christmas Day to you, too, Jeannelle! Seems like you had a marvelous day. DEWEY sound like an interesting story; perhaps my library can get it for me.

DesertHen said...

Very interesting.I didn't even know there was such a thing as Second Christmas. Thank you for sharing.

I'm at work today...I'm the only one in the office. It is very quiet in here and rather boring too. Had to travel snow covered, icy, slick roads to get here! It is partly cloudy too with a small chance of snow for later on.

I don't have any leftover to eat since I didn't get to cook at all yesterday...no power! We went out to eat...which was nice as there was no clean up afterwards....=D

Deb said...

First of all, I am so sorry that DesertHen had no electricy for Christmas. How awful!
I never heard of Second Christmas. Second City, yes, but Second Christmas, no!

Nancy said...

I hadn't heard of second Christmas either, it's a little like boxing day that they celebrate in Canada and the UK. It has become a big shopping/returns day, but originally meant something about boxing items for the poor or employees(servants). I don't happen to have any servants and don't feel like shopping, so I'm not celebrating today. I had heard about Dewey, I think they had a piece on him on CBS Sunday morning or some such show.

Nancy said...

In an interesting coincidence today's Sally Forth cartoon mentions both 2nd Christmas and boxing day.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Gail,

Ok....good plan....wait until after the New Year to stop eating! It has warmed up here considerably here, too....we now have melting snow and fog.....sleet coming tomorrow.

********

Hi, Rhymsie,

That's OK.....I saw your other comment first. I figured you were simply trying to conserve comment space or something!

**********

Hi, Laura,

Hope you've had a great Second Christmas Day, too!

********

Hi, Pat,

I started reading the Dewey book today.....the kitty was left in the book return drop box at the library!

**********

Hi, Deserthen,

Sorry to hear of the bad road conditions in your area. Drive safely! And, too bad about your power going out.....but, hey, it had the positive effect of prompting your family to go out to eat.....fun!

*********

Hi, Deb,

Happy Second Christmas to you! Hope you had a wonderful day!

********

Hi, Nancy,

Thanks for the info about Boxing Day.....I have seen it on calendars but had no idea what it meant.

********

Hi, Nancy,

I'm not sure if you're the same one as above.....will check after finishing this comment. I haven't heard of Sally Forth, either, and will Google her now. That's interesting that Second Christmas would be mentioned.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I've heard of Boxing Day and of the Twelve Days of Christmas, but never Second Christmas. Thanks for the informative post.

Country Girl said...

Happy Second Christmas to you, too, Jeannelle!
My German friend, Hartmut, briefly mentions 2nd Christmas in his blog:
http://torsdagsail.blogspot.com/

Have a merry!

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Ruth,

Thank you for stopping in! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

********

Hi, Country Girl,

Thanks for the link to the German blog! I did go take a look. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!