Wednesday, February 18, 2009

This & That

*
Mookie is shy, but wants to say "Hi".....

We have what surely must be one of the last remaining general stores in Iowa right here in our neighborhood---the Klinger Store, truly a throw-back to a another era. Upon exiting that establishment recently, I was treated to this colorful sunset squeezing in between the buildings out back. The structure on the right is an old schoolhouse, now used for storage. (The colors are jazzed up a bit for fun.)

Do we really need a reminder of a frosty morning? Not especially.

Last month, the Waterloo Courier newspaper turned 150 years young. Cool retro front page layout:


*
One day last week, I was scrubbing the "whale"---the bulk tank that holds milk in the barn---and listening to the radio. A woman was talking about laughter......pointing out how healthful it is. We should seek out laughter, even within serious situations. She said, "When you hear laughter.......move towards it." What a great thought. Maybe that will be my belated New Year's resolution.......to move towards laughter whenever possible.
*

14 comments:

Gail said...

What a wonderful thought. Today I will try to move towards it.

Kat Mortensen said...

I am always moving towards laughter when I visit you.
We could throw in "the whale" no charge in our Cow Wash!

Love the font on the top of the "Courier" paper. How interesting!

Kat

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Gail & Poetikat,

Thanks for stopping in. Ha....I must seem like the biggest liar in the world. Yesterday I said no more blogging for awhile.....I had forgotten this post here was set to publish. I thought it was in Drafts.

OK....NOW.....no blogging for awhile.

Gigi Ann said...

How cute is that? Mookie peekin' around the curtain! And the sunset picture is lovely, even the frosty picture is lovely. And 150 years is a LONG time. Have a great vacation away from blogging for a while.

Deb said...

Love your perspective today. It helps to have a good outlook on life, doesn't it?

troutay said...

Jeannelle:

Please don't take a break from blogging just yet. I am home sick (just out of hospital) and I really need something to look forward to every day.
Just for a little while, ok?

Jeannelle said...

Gramma Ann,

Thanks for stopping by this morning. Have a great day in your reading corner!

*********

Deb,

Yes, I thought that was such a good thought: Move towards laughter. You know how it is when you hear people laughing.....you wonder what's making them laugh....well, go find out!

*********

troutay,

I'm very sorry to hear you've been in the hospital. You must be glad to be home. Take good care and may you feel better pronto!

Caution/Lisa said...

I love that advice about moving toward laughter.

Now about the missing people in my picture: they are former students who are tech-savvy enough to 1)find my anonymous blog, 2)want compensation for the use their images, and 3)be ticked that I don't remember their names. I thought my cropping job was clever!!

Lois said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeannelle said...

Caution,

Your cropping job is indeed clever. Recently I caught a photo of my son on the basketball court and nestled next to his head is the head of his girlfriend who was sitting in the bleachers in the background. It made for a fun crop.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Move toward laughter. I like that advice.

DesertHen said...

What great advice..."when you hear laughter, move towards it." I LOVE IT!!

Love the sunset and the photo of Mookie.

I'm so far behind on my blog reading. I thought I would be able to blog and read while in Vegas, but due to a faulty wireless connection in my hotel room, that didn't happen. Then I got back to work this week to a ton of work waiting for me. I hope I can catch up soon...you've been busy with your posts and I so love to read all that you put up...=)

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Ruth and Deserthen,

Thanks for stopping by. Deserthen....goodness, don't feel like you have to read ALL the posts from when you were gone. It sounds like you are very busy right now....don't let blog-reading become a pressure. Take care.

Egghead said...

Jeanelle I truly believe that seeking out laughter really does help. It is something my dad taught me to do and if he hadn't I don't know where I would be now.