Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Hickory Nuts, Etc.

Because I mentioned hickory nuts in yesterday’s post, here’s more info about them. Most of you probably know what a hickory nut looks like, but in case you don’t, here is one. Its the whitish thing in the middle of the picture. The shell is very hard, of course and must be cracked with a hammer or nutcracker, and the nutmeats must be removed with a nut pick…..a tedious task.

024

As far as flavor is concerned, I like hickory nuts better than walnuts. Walnuts can be bitter-tasting, in my opinion. Hickory nuts are sweeter, perhap, but the taste is difficult to describe. They aren’t quite like pecans, either. Hickory nuts are delicious in cakes, brownies, sugar cookies, and probably other dishes beyond the ken of a nonadventurous cook like me.

A thick green rind encases the hickory nut shell as it grows on the tree. After dropping to the ground in early autumn, the rind turns brown and falls away, revealing the whitish shells, which are easy to spot for gathering into a pail, basket, or sack. There are a few rind sections in this photo:

026 (2)

*

Yesterday I spent the afternoon with my college daughter who happens to turn 20 years old this week. The next photo shows her at age four or five, cuddling kitties and being a Little-Miss-Muffet-wannabe, on a tuffet of straw in the upper level of our old hoghouse. Of course, she CLIMBED up there……she’s always been a climber, and still is. Many a time, I glanced out the kitchen window to see her clambering up the branches of a pine tree. Dashing outside, I would holler for her to “STOP climbing right now and come back down……carefully, please.” Now, in college, she has taken a liking to rock-climbing, of all things. She absolutely loves it……the crazy girl!

Rachel up in hoghouse She seems well-adjusted to college life. Last year, as a freshman, she struggled with meeting new people, but by now she has an ever-widening circle of friends whom she chatters about freely. Its funny……she has several friends named Megan; and when our older daughter was in college she had several good friends named Kristen!

*

So, tell me……did you feel young at twenty? I don’t think I did. It may have had something to do with being an eldest child, and spending lots of time watching out for much younger siblings. I felt like a mother when I was a teenager. And, then I got married a month after turning 20. Then, I put my nose to the grindstone of LPN school, worked one year, and then had my first baby. This will sound awful, but I was a bit dismayed when I became pregnant…….I thought, “Oh, great…..now I’ll have to take care of kids again all the time.” The past several years, I’ve been starting to feel young in ways I never did before simply because I’m not tied down to watching out for little kids all the time.

*

The other day, I did something I haven’t done for ages……I rented a movie. I was picking out bananas at the Kwik Star convenience store (Readlyn’s only option for groceries) and then walked over to grab a 12-pack of Coca-Cola. I made the mistake of glancing at the DVD cases displayed nearby……and, oh goodness…..Richard Gere’s face on the cover of Nights in Rodanthe forced me to take rental action.

The movie is set on an island in the outer banks of North Carolina……I looked it up on a map……there actually is a “Rodanthe” on Pea Island. The movie’s locale was gorgeous, of course……the story was……well, you know……contrived, as most stories are. Like, would it ever really happen that two such attractive people would just happen to meet and be thrown together alone for several days in that amazingly romantic old house on that incredibly beautiful beach. Give me a break. Or, maybe things like that happen all the time and I am simply out of touch with the real world.

Should I tell you how the movie ended? No, I won’t do that. Perhaps you already know. My favorite line was when Diane Lane’s character is telling her daughter to hold out for the love that gives her courage to be more than she can be. There is such a thing.

*

Coincidentally……considering that my daughter is turning 20……here is photo of me at age 20, and just happens to be showing one of the two times in my life when I played the role of beachcomber. Hey……I loved the ocean! Loved that deep, rhythmic, rumbling roar. It made me feel tiny and insignificant……and strangely comforted.

Oregon beach

This photo was taken on the Oregon coast, but exactly where, I do not recall. There appears to be a lighthouse in the background. If anyone recognizes this spot and can tell me where it is……you will totally make my day!! (By the way, that is my hair blowing toward the shore; its not a grotesque facial profile, as it may appear.)

20 comments:

Country Girl said...

Yes, there certainly is a Rodanthe, dear Jeannelle! For years, we vacationed with my husband's family further south of Rodanthe, in Hatteras Village. And after the week-long family vacations got to be tiring to us, we travelled even further south ~ to our beloved Ocracoke Island. I love the Outer Banks. Never rented this movie, though.
I don't see many hickorys around here for some reason. Thanks for showing me what a nut looks like. oH, HAHA!!
Your daughter: absolutely adorable. So very glad she is doing well in college. I think it's awesome that she loves rock climbing. Have a great day, Jeannelle!

Laura ~Peach~ said...

we have several hickory nut tress here in my yard... come help yourself to them any time... I hammer the meats out when I want to eat some!

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Country Girl,

Wha-at?! You gave up vacations in a gorgeous place like Rodanthe? Seriously....its wonderful you're familiar with that area. I noticed Hattaras and Ocracoke on the map, too.

Have a pleasant day!

**********

Hi, Laura,

Cool that you have hickory trees, too. I had no idea what areas of the country they inhabit. Oh, but that's right....one of the presidents was nicknamed "Old Hickory".....was that Andrew Jackson....and, he was from the south, so I should have realized the trees were there, too.

Caution/Lisa said...

Your girl is darling! Why did you stop at 4 kids?! I always wanted to rock-climb, too, but was afraid I would look down.

Was the movie worth renting?

Jeannelle said...

Oh, Caution,

Why did YOU stop at four?

Actually, right now I wish there were a few more kids here to help us with the chores....I'm getting more exhausted by the day.

Jeannelle said...

Calling Caution, again,

Yes, I enjoyed the movie....I tried not to shed tears, but to no avail.

Glennis said...

I didn't know anything about Hickory nuts before. Looks a bit like and acorn.
Cute little girl!

Sempringham said...


A couple of great pictures there, Jeannelle! The picture of your daughter is charming as all get out. The shoreline picture of what appears to be a World War II Japanese zero pilot is evocative.

Don't know how hickory nuts can compete with them.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Glennis,

Glad you enjoyed the hickory nut info. Thanks for stopping in!

********

Hi, Sempringham,

I'm going to sue you.....I just fell off my chair laughing so hard and broke my facial profile.

Jeannelle said...

I can sense that Vonda from Oregon is about to tell me the location of that beach.....

Egghead said...

Jeannelle so how did you know? Well my daughter was married at the Yaquina Head Lighthouse and from that photo it looks like that is the same. I can't be exactly sure but I have a photo that looks almost like that only taken a few years ago. We must have been at the same location or near it. I too love the coast and could spend tons of time there. However, there are many lighthouses along the coast and who knows I might be completely off base.

I am emailing you my photo and you can tell me what you think.

alphabet soup said...

Everything about the photo of your daughter aged 4/5 is lovely. The subject, the composition and the lighting.
No hickory nuts in this part of the world.

Ms Soup

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Egghead,

I saw you on the Feedjit page list right then and was so hoping you would recognize the place. And, sure enough, you did, or it seems so.

Yes, I've looked at the photo you emailed.....it does appear very possibly to be the same lighthouse. Thank you for taking time to look at this.

**********

Hi, alphabet soup,

Thank you for your kind words about the photo. Not much planning to it.....I just ran out with the camera when I spotted her up there with the kitties.

Bren Haas said...

College live... I am so not ready for that stage in my climbers age yet.
Thanks for sharing wonderful thoughts and photography.

Egghead said...

Oh yeah! I forgot that no matter that we are states apart....we can spy on each other. OK to use the photo if you like. I also love that photo of your daughter. She was adorable.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Bren,

Oh, yes, for sure.....enjoy the time while your kids are young and home with you. Its exhausting sometimes, but very special.

********

Hi, Egghead,

Thank you for the info about the lighthouse and for allowing me use your lovely photo. It just posted.

Oma Jill said...

Hi Jeanelle,
I did not feel old at 20. (I don't feel old now at 41). I was the youngest child of 5 so I didn't have to help raise younger siblings. I had my first child at 18, almost 19. I only had 2 children as my husband said that is all he wants. My daughter, son in-law and grandson lived with us for the past 6 months before they could move in to the home they live in now and it was GREAT!! I really enjoy my kids and wish we could all live together! And I refuse to give up that dream!! LOL

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Oma Jill,

Thanks for commenting. You certainly should not feel old if you are only 41! Oh, my.....your profile photo is beautiful.....and, you are a grandmother, already, too.

Your comment is heart-warming, it truly is. I do love children, its just that I became rather exhausted and burned out from years of caring for them.

Oma Jill said...

Jeanelle, I feel I must tell you the photo is of Shania Twain. My mom and sister were goofing around, and I never took it off. But I updated with a real pic of me, not a Shania by any means. ;))

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Oma Jill,

The real you is beautiful!

Oh, I feel like an idiot for not recognizing Shania Twain.