Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Sheep in the Sunset

Last Saturday evening around 7 p.m., Husband and I left home to drive to a county dairy banquet near Waverly. A stunning, out-of-this-world sunset show was in progress as we drove west on C-57. You’d better believe I pulled the camera out of my purse to snap some photos. (These shots came right out of the camera……no editing was done.)

c57 1

The next scene shows the bridge over Crane Creek. If you look closely, you can see something on the highway up in the distance. At the time, though, I didn’t notice that, for I was engrossed in snapping photos and looking downward, oohing and aahing over the glowing golden-orange scenes on the camera’s LCD screen.

c57 bridge

Suddenly, Husband slowed the car and blurted out, “Sheep!” I said, “What???”

Sure enough, a small herd of sheep had chosen that very moment to escape from their pen and scamper across the highway into the front yard of their owner’s house. Frantically, I began clicking the camera……

sheep 3

The sight of the gorgeous sunset was incredible enough……the sheep also making an appearance at that particular moment was indeed flabbergasting!

sheep 2

Whew…..just like that the amazing little sheep interlude was over and onward down the road we went, shaking our heads at what we’d just witnessed. The sun hovered over the lane we were driving in, as if beckoning us to come along…..showing us the way!

west of 63 2

The banquet was held at a church in rural Waverly. A farmer was burning fencerows in the field adjacent to the church. Shortly after we were seated for our meal, firetrucks were called in to help control the blaze!

fire

This was the only picture I took at the banquet, and its rather blurry….sorry about that.

balloons

The Dairy Banquet makes for a pleasant enough outing and a chance to hobnob with other dairy farmers and people in related occupations. A dairy princess and junior princess are crowned there every year……sadly, there was only one candidate in each category this time, and they were even sisters! Those two girls and their parents will have one very busy summer, attending parades and being involved in county fair activities.

Several annual awards were handed out……”Cream of the Crop'’ to a deserving dairy woman; “Dairy Service Award” to a business which serves dairy farmers; and, “Distinguished Dairyman Award” to a dairyman who is considered “distinguished” (silver-haired temples not necessarily required). Every year, I listen in amazement as the winner’s off-farm activities are enumerated…..this year’s winner was lauded for heavy involvement in Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, school bond issue committees, DHIA board, dairy promotion committees, etc. It always makes me wonder who is home doing the chores while he is away at meetings and such! In the background must lurk a helpful elderly father, a wife, children, and, perhaps, employees. Husband’s farm work is all-consuming and he has no time left over for off-farm activities.

The banquet meal was OK. I’m not a fan of huge, rarely-cooked slabs of prime rib, so I handed mine off to Husband. Actually, big meals in the evening are not my thing anyway, so it was all I could do to eat the baked potato and green beans, and innards of a piece of pie (I dislike pie crust, too…..picky eater, aren’t I!). The soft-serve ice cream machine owned by the Dairy Promoters was there and that was the best treat of the evening! Yum, yum! In the past, we’ve rented that machine for our kids’ graduation parties; my favorite memory is leaving the machine running until the next morning and eating soft-serve ice cream for breakfast! It was so good……very easy to take!

Four Bonnie Mohr prints were given away in a drawing. Sadly….boohoo……neither Husband or I won one of those. My water glass had a number on the bottom so I did win a door prize……a “Got Milk?” t-shirt in size XL. Wowser…..Husband can wear it. There were containers of Cows caramel candy on the tables, so I stashed a couple handfuls in my coat pocket. Hey…..why not…..people were supposed to help themselves and hardly anyone did. We also received our choice of a pound of butter or a pound of cheese on the way out the door, so we definitely did not go home empty-handed.

Let’s see if I’ve forgotten anything……oh, yes, there were several tables of dairy posters drawn by elementary students in the county. What a hoot! Quite a variety of ideas, ranging from very creative and clever to rather silly and sloppy. Many kids attempt to draw a cow, which is a rather difficult undertaking.

*

Before I bring this rambling to a close……back pedal for a moment to the encounter with the sheep on the highway. That happened on Saturday evening. On Saturday morning, Poetikat (gifted writer/poet/blogger from Canada) left a comment on my blog in which she happened to randomly mention that she liked the photo in the sidebar of me holding the lamb! That’s the first thing that came to my mind after we saw the sheep in the road! Poetikat……you let those sheep out, didn’t you!!

*

Annie lamb

(Little Orphan Annie and me……circa 1964. Annie’s mother had died giving birth and I raised Annie on a bottle. She lived to be very old and gave us many lambs. She was always a pet and would come a-running whenever she spied people.)

*

14 comments:

Sempringham said...

Wow! What a night! Another illustration of why you should always carry a camera. Amazingly scenic things always seem to come your way.

A good read, too, Jeannelle. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

So glad the little escapees chose that particular moment to cross the road so we could view these awesome sunset sheep photos.

I used to drive that road many moons ago when I was a young whipper snapper.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Country Girl said...

Jeannelle, those photos are just wonderful! Aren't you glad you always have that camera?

Gigi Ann said...

WOW!! I loved the pictures of the sunset, sheep, and the story that followed. Well, back to work for you...

Leenie said...

Glad you were there to capture the splendid moments for us. It is magical how the sun sets at the end of every west-going road at this time of year. The combination of events-sunset,smoky air,sheep-beautiful evening-your camera- were,uh,serendipitous!

Laura ~Peach~ said...

totally awesome pics...fred and bessie love the cows on the balloons. I woud be torn between a pound of butter and a pound of cheese ... two of my favorites!

rhymeswithplague said...

I'm so glad you described your evening in detail because I was about to ask, "What in the world is a county dairy banquet???"

I must be a dairyman at heart. Whenever I think of the song "Scarborough Fair" my first impulse is to sing the words, "Parsley, cheese, rosemary and thyme!" (Note for the clueless: it's sage, not cheese).

Now don't tell me you never think of the song "Scarborough Fair"....

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Sempringham,

Thank you for the kind words. I set that camera out early in the day so I wouldn't forget it.

********

Hi, Blue Ridge Gal,

Well, cool....you've driven this road before! Yes, I absolutely could not believe my eyes seeing those sheep silhouetted in the sun.

********

Hi, Country Girl,

Right on! Keep a camera on hand at all times....I'm sure you do that, too. And, you are one of my inspirations, you know!

********

Hi, Gramma Ann,

Thanks for your good words! Glad you enjoyed the scenes, too!

******

Hi, Leenie,

You're right....the sun does seem to be aligned with the roads this time of year. Amazing how the mood of the sunlight varies through the year, too. I've noticed that lately while browsing through old photo files.

********

Hi, Laura,

Oh, I'm glad to hear Fred & Bessie liked the balloons! They would have enjoyed the banquet, I'm sure. Lots of cow talk!

**********

Hi, rhymsie,

Yes, I occasionally think of "Scarborough Fair", but must confess I've never substituted "cheese" for "sage"! That adds a whole 'nother flavor to the song!

DesertHen said...

The sunset photos are amazing!! What a sight to behold! And then the sheep running across the road...Wow...what a sight!

Hey, I love those cow balloons in the photo! Where do you suppose they found them??

The photo of you and your little sheep is just too cute. It makes me think of "Mary Had a Little Lamb" only it would be "Jeannelle" had a little lamb.....

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I love those photographs. Very stunning, and it's wonderful you were there to capture the sheep--in your camera, anyway!

Kat Mortensen said...

How'd EWE know it was Me? Okay, I admit it, I let them out. It was such a beautiful evening and they were so frisky and kickin' up their heels, I could NOT resist!

Wonderful photos. You should frame them!

The Dairy event sounds like lots of fun. I don't like prime rib either, so you and I could have stood by the soft-serve and stuffed all those caramels in our big pockets. Sounds like a plan!

Kat

Kat

Girl Tornado said...

OMG what a stunning and dramatic sunset, and how lucky were you to chance upon it AND happen to have your camera? I'll admit I don't always take my camera when I go places, although I'm learning to regret it!

rhymeswithplague said...

WHAT???? You ate PRIME RIB at a DAIRY event???? I suppose the waiter asked, "How now? Brown cow?"...it all sounds positively genocidal...

You guys are DAIRY farmers. It should have been a vegetarian banquet....

Jeannelle said...

Sorry.....I forgot to check the additional comments on this post:

Deserthen,

Thanks for stopping in! I think the Iowa Dairy Promotion organization has those balloons.

*********

Hi, Ruth,

Actually, I wouldn't mind having a few sheep around, to lessen the amount of lawn to mow.

********

Hi, Poetikat,

Absolutely, you had to be the culprit! And, good....an ice cream and caramel kindred spirit you are!

*******

Hi, Oz Girl,

Hey, there's no time like the present to start taking your camera along! Do it!

********

Hi, rhymsie,

Well.....not really.....dairy animals are beef, too, you know. Its all part and parcel of the same thing.