Sunday, March 22, 2009

UNI-Dome Antique Show

antique show day 005

Hey……let’s race……around the track…….

antique show day 003

……at the annual Antiques & Collectibles Show at the UNI-Dome in Cedar Falls, Iowa.

antique show day 009

Cold and gray reigned on the outside, but inside the Dome all was colorful and bright. If only there had been more time; I was there from 1 to 4 p.m. and felt forced to browse in a rather hurried fashion. The words “browse” and “hurry” just don’t fit together very well, though.

antique show day 001

My main goal was to find stacks of old photographs to look through. Recently I found out that my ggg-grandfather, Ira Wilkins, worked as a daguerreian/photographer in Viroqua, Wisconsin, in the 1850’s and in Charles City, Iowa, in the 1860’s and 70’s. Apparently he continued westward……my great-grandfather’s diary mentions his grandfather Ira Wilkins passing away in the Los Angeles area in the early 1900’s. Thus, I’m on the probably futile quest to try and find an old photo with his name trademark stamped on it. No luck today, although I did find a “C.E. Wilkins – Freeport, Ill” stamped on one old portrait. I looked at daguerrotypes today, too, and not many of them carry trademark names……that’s why I’m sure the quest will be fruitless. No matter, I am thrilled to know there is a photographer in my family tree!!

*

Somehow I managed to look at old books, too, and ended up purchasing the four in the next photo. Three were from “Hungry Horse Books”, the owner being from Fort Dodge, Iowa. While writing my check, I said to him, “Did you know there is a “Hungry Horse Dam” in Montana?” (I was there once many years ago.) The guy laughed and said that’s where the name of his business originated! Many years ago he had visited Hungry Horse Dam and after hearing the true story of the hungry horses, he decided that if he ever started a business he would name it after them.

antique show day 025

*

14 comments:

DeniseinVA said...

What a wonderful thing to have your g-grandfather's diary. I would give anything to have such a gift. Grat post and great photographs.

alphabet soup said...

Searching for old photos that may be linked to your family and buying old books - a great pastime. Tell us more about the books when you have looked through them...(please)...look at that title, Grimms German Household Tales - and there I was thinking they were fairy tales.
Ms Soup

MAYBELLINE said...

Do you suppose you found photos from C.E Watkins rather than Wilkins? C.E. was highered by two competing land barrons in Kern County about a century ago for opposing arguments. Unfortunatley, his studio in San Franciso was destroyed in the fire following the 1906 earthquake.

I enjoy your travelblogs. Keep up the great work. Thanks.

Flea said...

Oh what fun! You're right - hurry and browse don't juxtapose so well.

Gail said...

Wow! A day out, I would love to enjoy just the kind you had.

Anonymous said...

Nice! I was born in Fort Dodge 55 years ago..... and as for the antique show, my kids live not too far down the street from there. Will be visiting CF in April for a few days and hopefully there will be no gray skies that week-end. Loved today's photos!

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Denise,

Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Years ago, my great-aunt gave me a copy of highlights from her father's diary, and she once showed the original diary to me when I was kid and hardly cared.

********

Hi, alphabet soup,

Yeah, it was the title of the Grimm's book that caught my eye. And, in the preface it says that the Grimm brothers spent time listening to peasant people relate the tales that were told in their households. That's how they collected what later became "Grimm's Fairy Tales." It sounded fascinating so I had to buy it!

********

Hi, Maybelline,

That's interesting! The photo I have does say C.E. Wilkins. I looked up C.E. Watkins here , which has a paragraph about him, but you have more info about him, too.

********

Hi, Flea,

Yeah, I actually felt rather stressed trying to browse hurriedly! I'm getting excited to have Fred & Bessie as guests! I hope they will like it here.

********

Hi, Gail,

You're right, it is great fun to do something like this now and then. I looked at all the exhibitors and wondered what it would be like to do that. Alot of work, packing and unpacking, but it would be fun to meet people.

*******

Hi, Blue Ridge Gal,

I enjoy hearing of your ties to this area. Yes, hopefully weather will be warm and sunny when you're here in April. Thanks for stopping by!




********

Leenie said...

Old books have a place in my heart. It looks like you found some real treasures! Good luck finding those photos.

Gigi Ann said...

My husband had an uncle who was a photographer, you gave me an idea. I think I will post some of his photos on "My Moody Blues" blog. Sounds like a plan. I will get right on it!

Kat Mortensen said...

Jeannelle - visit the Robert Frost's Banjo link on my site under Poets/Scribes and check out the stuff there - he's an amazing writer and musician and he and his wife are into the most unique things. You never know, he may come across an Ira Wilkins daguerrotype in his travels (he's in Idaho).

This is fascinating. So, photography is in your blood, girl!

Kat

DesertHen said...

Wow...looks like a great way to spend a few hours. I could get lost for hours looking at antiques! We have a few antique stores here and one always seems to have a stack of old photos to look through...I will keep an eye out of the name you are looking for.

The books look fascinating! I love old books too.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Leenie,

Yes, I'm really drawn to old books....old pictures....why is that?

*********

Hi, Gramma Ann,

That sounds like a great idea! Blogs are a great place to share and display old photos!

********

Hi, Poetikat,

Thanks...I will wander over to the Banjo site. Speaking of unique things; I saw lots of them at the show.

*********

Hi, Deserthen,

Oh, yes, if you ever have time to look through the old antique photos, watch for that name! I would love to go to more antique stores, but I just never take the time to do it. This photo search would give me a good reason, though....

Nancy said...

The antique show sounded like fun. Its always more fun when you have something specific to look for. I like the books you got. I have a thing about old books, I've inherited quite a few and pick them up at garage sales, etc. too. I like to display different ones that go along with the seasons or different themes on my fireplace or shelves. I'll have to post a picture of them sometime.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Nancy,

I like your idea of using the unique old books for decor throughout the year. Yes, post pictures of some of your antique books sometime!