Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Retrieving the Wreck

Can you tell my daughter rear-ended a utility truck? From the looks of the license plate area, she must have hit the truck’s hitch straight-on. Thankfully, no one was hurt, and no one was ticketed. The mishap occurred at rush-hour on Monday afternoon in a construction zone on busy University Avenue in Cedar Falls, not far from the college campus. The truck had to slam on his brakes for the car ahead of him whose driver had braked for a turn at the last minute. Not a good idea in heavy traffic……don’t do it!

1st 006 The ‘96 LeSabre was given a lift to Deery Brothers, about a block away from the accident site. A $65 tow that turned out to be. Its funny, John Deere is a big name in the area, and so is John Deery.

1st 009

Late this morning found me, half-dozing in the pickup cab, waiting while Husband went inside the Collision Center to pay the towing bill. Ho-hum. Day-dreams of a warm tropical island drifted into my mind. Well, ,my goodness……what a coincidence…….the van up ahead is adorned with an ocean sunset scene! (April Fool’s!)

1st 008

Let’s take a closer look at the damage…..

1st 014

Yipes! Scary eyes!

1st 028

Fortunately, the car still runs and could be driven onto the trailer. However…..ahem…..the sides of the trailer prevented the car doors from opening. Haha……Husband had to climb out through the window. Hahaha. But, then he made me climb in to push the parking brake pedal into place.

1st 018

Husband, a typical jack-of-all-trades farmer, made sure the car was securely chained into place on the trailer. Here he tightens the chain with a chain binder.1st 025

Longingly and with stomach growling, I gazed across the rows of dented vehicles to the McDonald’s beyond. Lunchtime was drawing near, but with a trailer in tow, a fast-food parking lot would be too complicated for us to negotiate. Sigh. Growl, growl.

1st 021 Soon we were zipping along on the open road once again…..

1st 037 At one point, for my own amusement, I tried to get a photo of all three flashing arrows lighted up. That’s the only purpose of this final picture.

1st 038

We arrived home safely and found a place to stash the smashed up Buick. It was a good car with a very comfortable ride, but would cost more to fix than it is worth. Because of the car’s age and high mileage, we had dropped collision coverage from the insurance a few years ago. Maybe we can find someone who wants the engine. Daughter will have to depend on friends and parents for rides now. She’s supposed to go to Europe for the summer, thus she won’t be in need of her own wheels until August, anyway. We’re hoping to find another older LeSabre for her to drive.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well thank goodness your daughter was not hurt... cars are replaceable.

Yay, John Deery! I'll give them a friendly honk when I am in CF for Easter.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Flea said...

I'm so glad she wasn't hurt. :) And that your hunny's so handy! Did you eat?

Kat Mortensen said...

Wow the shot of that car just gave me a stress hot flash! Thank goodness no one was hurt!

Loved your travels with the wreck though (and your wistful sighting of McDonald's).

That close up was something!

Kat

Laura ~Peach~ said...

thank God she was not hurt... we have a 96 volvo 960 that cory rolled sitting in our year in hopes that one day someone will need it in a HUGE way!
cant wait till wednesday :) I am excited!

Gigi Ann said...

I am so glad to hear your daughter, or for that matter, that no one was hurt.

I remember wrecking my cute little car in December 1995. It is no fun to be in a wreck, the airbag went off and I had a sore chest for 6 weeks.

I will post a car on "My Moody Blues" blog tomorrow you may want think about for your daughter. LOL

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Blue Ridge Gal,

Yes, I was very thankful, too, that no one was hurt. Believe it or not, the truck she hit had NO damage reported!

Have a wonderful trip to Iowa. Are you driving? Or, flying?

*******

Hi, Flea,

Oh, yes, we ate when we got home!

*******

Hi, Poetikat,

Yeah, doesn't the car look awful! The bumper is all plastic and it doesn't take much to wreck it, that's for sure.

********

Hi, Laura,

We always harbor hopes for the old vehicles, that someone will want them. We now have 2 junkers sitting around. Husband will probably end up hauling them to the scrap yard.

Yes, I'm looking forward to next Wed., too! To actually meet another blogger in person! Cool!

*******

Hi, Gramma Ann,

Oh, sorry to hear of your discomforts from the airbag. I've heard they can cause much distress. Thankfully, the one in my daughter's car did not go off. I suppose the impact was not strong enough, or else the airbag wasn't working. Ok....can't wait to see the car coming up on your blog.....

Caution/Lisa said...

And why didn't your husband take a picture of you climbing through the window? Smart man, I guess!

Sorry about the McDonalds sighting. So close, yet so far away. That, added to seeing my daughter's smashed car, might well have done me in.

rhymeswithplague said...

We were involved in a car wreck about ten years ago. The airbag did not inflate, but Mrs. RWP had bruising caused by the seat belt.

Even when you win, you can't win.

I'll be perkier after I've had my morning coffee.

Nancy said...

Too bad about the car, I'm glad your daughter was okay. I'm sure it was a terrible phone call to receive! It's kind of sad to have a totaled vehicle that still runs. A similar thing happened to us after a run in with a deer.