Saturday, May 23, 2009

Roadside Flower Patrol

22nd050 (2)

I took a walk yesterday morning and found out first hand what a difference a few days can make! Lots of bloomin’ wildflowers have suddenly made their debut for the season, including the Prairie Phlox decked out in their various color tones---whitish to pale pink to lavender to fuchsia.

22nd015 The name phlox comes from the Greek word for “flame”. Their habitat is in dryish, rocky or sandy prairies and open oak savannas---and roadsides---throughout the tallgrass prairie region. The Meskwaki made a tea of the leaves and used it as a wash to treat eczema. The root was used as part of a love potion……so says Wildflowers of the Tallgrass Prairie by Sylvan Runkel and Dean Roosa. Phlox varieties for home gardens have been adapted from these native species.

*

Next we have Golden Alexanders, also called Golden Meadow Parsnip. Early settlers thought this plant would cure syphilis, so says the above-mentioned book and Tallgrass Prairie Wildflowers by Doug Ladd and Frank Oberle. The Meskwaki used the root to reduce fever and ground the flower parts into a snuff used to treat “illness in the head”.

22nd019 (2)

I stumbled upon this nest which appears to be is use by two different birds. Is that possible? Or else a nest hijacking has occurred. I think the bluish eggs belong to Redwing Blackbirds, but the brownish one must belong to someone else. There was a Bobolink hanging around on the fence nearby, but I don’t know what their eggs look like. [Update: The brownish egg may have been left there by a Cowbird, as that is their habit.....read about them here.]

22nd024 (2)

I don’t know what this next one is yet, but am working on it. If you recognize it, please let me know what it is.

22nd025 (2) This is some type of Mustard or Cress, I think.....

22nd017

Wild Strawberry is next. What is that pencil shaped plant behind it? I’ve seen those all my life, but am not sure of the name. As kids, we called it “snake-grass” and we played with it, pulling apart the sections and putting them back together again. [Update: It is Horsetail..........a living fossil, so they say....]

22nd047 (2)Not sure what this grass is that appears to be shedding seeds already:

22nd043

On the way back, I decided to get down to ground level to catch the dandelions from a different angle, and wouldn’t you know, my daughter and her friends came driving along and saw me. What a weirdo they must think I am. Can you spot Betsy, too? She almost blends right in with the fluffy white seed heads.

22nd052

You may have been bored to death by this post, but I had a great time with it……taking the photos and looking up the flowers in the reference books. As I wandered out there along the roadside, searching for wildflowers, it felt as if I had finally returned home again after a long absence.

*

We don't usually do anything special over the Memorial Day weeked......just the usual farm stuff, lawnmowing, etc. My son will get home from Des Moines tomorrow.......he ran in the shuttle hurdle relay at the state track meet on Thursday. (I did not attend.) The boys ran their best time of the year, but did not make the finals. That's ok.....they were excited simply to get the chance to run in Drake Stadium.

*

Have a fun and safe Memorial Day holiday! Then summer will be off and running......

*

13 comments:

Trish said...

Not bored at all. Sneezing a little though...grin...as I took a walk with you through all those grasses! Love the photos....you did well. What a learning experience...I would not have known all those plants. Love the nest picture too. Will you go back to see the results of the rogue egg?

Trisha said...

Love the flower photos and the info you looked up for us! There is something so wonderful about wildflowers!

The eye-level picture of the dandelions was great! So what if your daughter thought you were a bit . . . off!

Gail said...

What a beautiful post! The pictures and words were both enjoyable. I love wild flowers.
I need some of the Golden Meadow Parsnip!

I have read of one bird, I cannot not remember which one. She lays her eggs with others, let the strange mother hatch them and as it grows, the baby pushes the others out of the nest.

I live for walks like these so you can really see what is there. Look forward to any more walks you take.

rhymeswithplague said...

Wildflowers are a favorite of mine, especially along the roadsides!

I think the bird the previous commenter meant whose offspring take over another's next is the cuckoo.

Sempringham said...


I think you've identified the right bird in your update, Jeannelle. My Audubon Field Guide says the Brown-Headed Cowbird and Bronzed Cowbird "are the only North American songbirds that are brood parasites, laying their eggs in the nests of other birds....The young cowbird grows quickly at the expense of the young of the host, taking most of the food or pushing them out of the nest."

Hmmm. What kind of birds do you want flying around your farm?

Leenie said...

The little phlox flowers are a favorite of mine. They bloom among the sage brush here and and are a sure sign of spring. LOL getting caught taking that dandelion shot. That is the price we pay for fun photos. (still grinning). We call the snake grass "pop grass." DH pulls them apart and flattens the soft end to make a reed whistle. Very annoying. Congrats on the track meet and the bridge.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Trish,

Thanks for stopping by! Actually, my eyes and nose have been itchy the last couple days....must be plenty of pollen in the air.

Yes, I'll try to peek at the nest now and then to keep tabs on the eggs' progress.

*******

Hi, Trisha,

Did you come along with Trish above?! Thanks for stopping in, too.

The wildflower blooms brighten my mood, that's for sure.

********

Hi, Gail,

Thank you for your kind words! Haha...yes, I could use some of that Golden Meadow Parsnip snuff, too....quite often, probably!

I'm pretty sure now that the unmatched egg is from a Cowbird.

********

Hi, rhymsie,

Perhaps the bird is a Cuckoo Cowbird!!

I'm glad you like wildflowers, too. Whoever doesn't like wildflowers would surely be suffering from an "illness in the head" and could use some of that Golden Parsnip snuff.

*******

Hi, Sempringham,

Thanks for that verification about the parasitic Cowbird.....I should patrol the roadside for those scoundrels, I guess. Kind of bursts one's bubble about the loveliness of nature, eh? Cowbird is basically a lazy, opportunist, bullying thief! Maybe Cowbirds come with the territory....seeing as we have many COWS on our farm.

********

Hi, Leenie,

Oh, I'm glad to hear you have phlox out there in Idaho....they are so pretty!

Did you see my update about the "pop grass"? It is called "Horsetail".....I did not know that before today and I've been acquainted with that plant/weed my entire life.

DesertHen said...

This post was not boring at all! I loved seeing all of the flowers and your commentary on each. The nest shot is lovely too. I was going to guess cowbird for the brown egg as we see that a lot around here...cowbirds stealing other birds' nest or laying eggs for other birds to hatch.

We start cutting hay here this coming week. Full steam ahead.....

Enjoy your weekend!

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I love the phlox. The next shot was very interesting. Cowbirds are rascals.

Kat Mortensen said...

As I recall, the cowbirds are the highjackers, so it may be another nest that has become the resting place of the cowbird's egg. Cool find, regardless of whose nest it is.

Love your flower close-ups. I think phlox is lovely. We get it on the roadsides up here too.

Kat

nonizamboni said...

searching for wildflowers, it felt as if I had finally returned home Exactly! I loved this view of Iowa's wildness and I've been doing the same here, much to my heart's delight.
Hope your weekend has been great!

Country Girl said...

Not boring at all, Jeannelle! I do the same thing. And then I look it up on Wikipedia and learn all sorts of things.
Your photos here are nice and that one shot of the birds nest is just wonderful!!
Have a great day. It's going to be a quiet one here, too.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Ruth,

Actually, cows can be rascally, too....no wonder cowbirds act the way they do!

******

Hi, Poetikat,

Yes, you're correct about the cowbird.....its known as a "parasitic" bird, evidently. I'm glad you have phlox up there in Canada, too.

********

Hi, noni,

Glad to hear you've been enjoying wildflowers, too. They really give my mood a lift.

********

Hi, Country Girl,

Quiet days are the best, I think. Thanks for stopping by.