Thursday, June 25, 2009

Mirage, Mirage, On The Road…..

24th 002 Mirage, mirage, on the road….

Who drove most straight and with caution slowed?

24th 004 C'mon, now.....don’t make fun of that verse; it took me quite awhile to think it up. The first line was easy, but not so the second. The little-used poetic muscles in my brain are stiff and flex with much creaking…..they need some grease!

I took the mirage photos while driving to Oelwein yesterday to pick up a new grille for the front of our lawn tractor. The old grille fell off the other day while I was mowing……obviously, I couldn’t see what had occurred and ran over it, smashing it to smithereens. The new one cost $99.

Anyhow, yesterday was the first time I’ve ever had the notion to try and snap a photo of a mirage. Aren’t they just the most intriguing phenomenon?! We, the viewers, “incorrectly interpret this sight as water which is reflecting the sky, which is, to the brain, a more reasonable and common occurrence (than seeing the sky on the road!).(From the Wikipedia article about mirages.)

The mirage of water on the pavement is an example of an “inferior” mirage……inferior because it is seen BELOW the real object (the sky, in this case). “Superior” mirages are seen ABOVE the real object. I believe I've seen such a thing when looking at the eastern horizon early in the morning, when the sun is not yet high in the sky. Farm buildings and trees are visible then above the line of the horizon, but later in the day it is impossible to see them. I’ve always wondered about that and now know it is a form of mirage!

The road to Oelwein took me through the town of Fairbank, where the annual summer celebration is drawing near. In the photo below…..read the banner carefully. I hope the town fathers received a discount on this particular item……

24th 001

*

While driving, I was pondering the stunningly tragic death of Coach Ed Thomas which occurred yesterday morning in Parkersburg, about 30 miles from here. Coach Thomas is very well-known in our area. I inadvertently caught him in a photo this spring while at a track meet in Parkersburg, right next to the site of the new high school being constructed to replace the one demolished in last year’s tornado. The sign in the background reads “Ed Thomas Field”.

Parkersburg Ed Thomas

My thoughts and prayers go out to the Thomas family and to the communities of Parkersburg and Aplington……and, to the shooter’s family, also residents of the Parkersburg area. A very, very tragic event. Ed Thomas’ son said, “God always has a reason.” And, he asked for concern and compassion to be shown to the family of the shooter.

*

7 comments:

threecollie said...

Fantastic photos! I am so amazed that you could do that.
We also read of the tragic death of the coach...didn't know it was so near you though. What a sad, sad story...

Sempringham said...

I was moved a week or so ago when the mother of the guard who was shot at the Holocaust Museum in D.C. expressed sympathy for the hate-filled shooter. And now Coach Thomas' family reaches out to the family of the man who shot him. Their ability to acknowledge the pain of others in the middle of their own pain says something about the quality of the families the men came from.

Thanks for the mirage pictures. I don't recall ever seeing one of the "superior" mirages. Maybe you could get up early and snap one for us! ;-) And the second line of the poem was worth the effort!

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to the Thomas family. Such a sad day.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Leenie said...

Such a tragedy in Parkersburg! So sorry for all involved. It is also concerning how people can become so crazed that they do such horriffic things.

Anonymous said...

Amazing shot Jeannelle. If anybody could capture a mirage, you could. It's really a shock isn't it about the coach. I rather figured it would turn out to be a student or previous one. Sad, sad, day. I feel bad for the family and town. They must be reeling. Like is tenuous, and we seldom realize it.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, threecollie,

There was no traffic coming...that's why I was able to take those photos.

********

Hi, Sempringham,

I was in awe also a couple years ago when that guy burst into an Amish school and shot several kids. The Amish parents were expressing concern and forgiveness for the shooter right away! Incredible!

********

Hi, Blue Ridge Gal,

Yes, a sad, senseless act....uncomprehensible.

********

Hi, Leenie,

Yes, it sounds like the shooter has been troubled for a long time. Its just too bad no had an inkling of what he was going to do.

********

Hi, Sherry,

Yes, you're right about that....life is tenuous. We never really know what will happen from one moment to the next.

Sarah Katie said...

It seems that Parkersburg just gets hit with tragedy after tragedy. I think that this one will take a bit longer to overcome.

On happier thoughts you finally have pictures of a place that I recognize. My grandparents live in Independence and my mom grew up in Oelwein. When I first started driving my grandpa drove me through Fairbank many a time.