Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Oats are “Heading Out”

22nd017

Farmers…..and, all of us (including you and me), have the tendency to state the obvious on occasion.  “The oats are heading out…..”, Husband remarked recently as we looked at this field.  “Heading out to where?”, you may ask, if you are not familiar with the growth cycle of grain crops.  “Out to dinner?  Out to Colorado?  Out to go fishing?”

22nd016 Remember the mayonnaise jar in the fridge who proclaimed, “Shut the door….I’m dressing!”?  These oats would declare to you that they are “heading out”…….and that means they are busy growing heads of grain on top of their stems.

22nd019 (2)

Late yesterday afternoon, ominous-looking storm clouds rolled in from the west and took over the sky.  (This next photo is poor, but gives an idea of how the clouds looked over the oats field.)

23rd 046

Afterwards, parts of the field were in a rather flattened condition.  (Hopefully, these areas will spring back up to some degree.)

23rd 063

But most of the field looked presentable…….and, especially so when the sun returned for a bright encore after the storm had finished its performance.

23rd 054 

I love the sea-of-green appearance of an oats field at this point in development, before it ripens to the harvest color of golden-tan in mid-July.  Probably I’d feel right at home amongst wheat fields of the Great Plains.

*

Wishing you a joyful day!

*

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a crop! Its always a worry for a farmer when a storm cloud rolls in, wondering if it will damage the crops.

Gigi Ann said...

I hope the wheat stalks lift their heads and enjoy the sun today. I hear we are to get more rain again later today. But it's summertime and the livin' is easy....or not sometimes.

I did enjoy the cooler weather over night and I hope you have a Wonderful Wednesday today, Jeannelle.

threecollie said...

Beautiful! Lovely photos!

Deb said...

I love all of your photos today, but the last one...I think I could get lost in it. Although I am not cut out to be a farmer, I could live in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by God's nature.

Midlife Roadtripper said...

As usual, beautiful pictures. You always offer such peace in your posts.

DesertHen said...

Wonderful photos Jeannelle. I hope the fields spring back up so those oats can finish "heading out"....=)

Leenie said...

Good looking oat fields! I wish the best for your harvest. Your tractor blog yesterday sure gleaned a lot of comments. And worthy! What beautiful machines and what a fun parade. Wish I could have seen the Hooters shirt modeled. ;-D. Your corn looks fine too. As for the painting you saw with fishermen in a boat on the ocean...I doubt it was a Wyeth. They did not go in for sea paintings as much as Winslow Homer. You may have seen his "Land and Sea," or "The Herring Net." Both are beauties. Paintings like those don't make it to this part of the world.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, aspen,

Thanks for stopping by. Some of the corn was leaning a bit, too, but it should be OK. Its very humid again this evening....probably another storm on the way....maybe you had it, too.

********

Hi, Gramma Ann,

Yes, last night was very pleasant after the storm moved through. Now this evening the humidity is miserable again.

*********

Hi, threecollie,

Thank you for stopping by. I'm wondering if you raise oats, too, in New York?

*******

Hi, Deb,

Thank you for your kind words. You'd probably do just fine living on a farm.

********

Hi, Midlife Jobhunter,]

Well, that is nice to hear....that my photos at times offer PEACE. That has to be a good thing.

*******

Hi, Deserthen,

Thankfully the downed spots were fairly small and scattered. I'm glad to hear your weather is improving and you are getting the hay up slow but sure.

********

Hi, Leenie,

Hey, thanks for setting me straight on the painting. Now that you mention it, Winslow Homer does sound correct. I must have had "W" artists mixed up in my head.....Wyeth, Winslow. Certainly it couldn't be that I'm not very knowledgeable about artists to begin with....no way that could be!

alphabet soup said...

Oh no!! Rolled oats...
Ms Soup

Girl Tornado said...

Yep, a very similar sea of green in our wheatfields just a month or so ago! They were gorgeous! Love your last pic with the golden glow of sunset over the fields. NOW I know a lil bit more about oats. :)

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

That field certainly is very beautiful.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Ms Soup,

Oh, my golly....that is clever! Good for you!

********

Hi, Oz Girl,

Oh, I imagine the huge wheatfields are VERY beautiful in their sea of green stage!

********

Hi, Ruth,

Thank you for your kind words! I like that scene, too!

Sempringham said...

Beautiful pictures, Jeannelle. I'm jealous.