Friday, August 7, 2009

ISU Gold Star Hall

Inside the north entrance of the Iowa State University Memorial Union is Gold Star Hall.

ISUTour127_thumb3

Those who have read my blog in the past may recall that I have a thing for stained-glass windows. The designs here in Gold Star Hall are very intricate and I wish there’d have been more time to study the details, but we were on a tight schedule.

ISUTour126_thumb2

The window designs were created by stained-glass artist Harold W. Cummings, a 1918 graduate of ISU. A very detailed explanation of their symbolism can be found HERE. In case you don’t have time to take the link, here is an excerpt from it: A committee had been appointed on March 9, 1942 to develop a concept for the windows and to ensure their completion. Mr. Cummings took over when they finished their work. It was his job to translate their ideas into stained glass. The beautiful windows in Gold Star Hall are the result of a year of work by Cummings Studios of San Francisco.

ISUTour131_thumb2

The above design shows the Iowa State College shield, “Science With Practice”. Twelve “homely virtues” are also depicted in the windows……Learning, Virility, Courage, Patriotism, Justice, Faith, Determination, Love, Obedience, Loyalty, Integrity, Tolerance.

ISUTour128_thumb2

I was in too much of a hurry when I snapped these photos---only “Loyalty” (above) and “Love” (below) turned out halfway clear enough for posting.

ISUTour133_thumb2

Sigh......someday I hope to spend more time contemplating the stained-glass scenes in Gold Star Hall.

*

5 comments:

MAYBELLINE said...

Lovely.
I continue to enjoy your delightful travelblogs.

DesertHen said...

Beautiful photos of the stained glass. I also like all of the detail in the photos above this post. Lovely tour! Hoping to get caught up on my blog reading this weekend...=)

DesertHen said...

Back again. I love the swans and turtle in the blog down below! The swans looks so peaceful! Wonderful shot! The comments were turned off on that one, so I couldn't leave my comment there.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Those are beautiful. I do remember your interest in stained glass and how you ran out of windows at your own church.

You could do a whole book of stained glass.

Anonymous said...

My goodness, I feel like I know ISU now! I take it your son is either going or thinking of going there? How great....

Email your address Jeannelle, and I'll send you my copy of "The woman who named God."

That publishing house is offering me more books and also to do giveaways, so as soon as I get straight how to do that with them, watch for that. I assume you just leave a comment, and I do a random drawing. They said they would ship any books.