Friday, August 7, 2009

Memorial Union Miscellany

ISU Tour 002 (2)

This ISU tour is getting tedious, I know, but here are a few parting shots from the Memorial Union building. Above, there’s one more look at The Fountain of the Four Seasons.

ISU Tour 004Forgive me, but I love all this ornate classical detailing. Lots of thought went into it.

ISU Tour 001

The ornamentation would not have been necessary, of course, but it surely is eye-catching.ISU Tour 074 Nothing too classical about a campus bookstore, but it happens to be located in the Union, too.

ISU Tour 135 Graceful ceilings, railings, light fixtures abound…..

ISU Tour 076

And, quotes engraved here and there……

ISU Tour 078 “TO SET THE CAUSE ABOVE RENOWN

TO LOVE THE GAME BEYOND THE PRIZE”

ISU Tour 077 Sir H. J. Newbolt---whom I’d never heard of before---offers a good thought there, to anyone who happens to gaze above the doorway, anyhow. Thanks to Wikipedia, I can tell you that his full name is Sir Henry John Newbolt, and he was an English poet (1862-1938), probably popular around the time this Memorial Union building was constructed.

*

I hope you are loving your game today!

*

No comments: