Friday, January 21, 2011

Frayed Quilt

Through the modern miracle of photo-cropping I removed the frayed edges of this old quilt which is another refugee rescued from my father-in-law’s trash pile.  All this quilt needed was a laundering.

quilt 052 Thank you for the kind and informative comments left on my recent quilt blogposts.  Please continue doing that and hopefully you will bring me up to speed concerning the name of this quilt’s pattern.

quilt 049

When writing blogpost text I sometimes try to challenge myself to use synonyms in order to provide variety for the readers.  For the past several days I’ve been unsuccessfully racking my brain to recall a synonym for the word quilt; I finally reached for the thesaurus and, guess what---it contained no entry for quilt.  Therefore, my blog readers will continue to be subjected to many quilts.  (Apparently, a quilt by any other name just wouldn’t be a quilt.)

  Also, I dug out the dictionary while mulling over the word “racking” in the above paragraph.  I had begun to type “wracking” but it just didn’t feel right and good thing I checked the word because “wracking” means to wreck.  My brain doesn’t need that!  

7 comments:

Gail said...

What treasures! It was a lucky day when you were able to save these works of art.

Tiggeriffic said...

Goodness to be I'm so surprised when I hear someone has trashed something like quilts. Guess they just look at them as old blankets.. Don't consider all the time that went into making these. Plus some of the material was Aunt so and so's old dress..or Uncle so and so's shirt.
Glad you retrieved them.. They are priceless and glad you have them.
ta ta for now from Iowa

Caution/Lisa said...

The quilt on my bed (thank-you, Walmart) has the same pattern. What a fun journey you're taking us on.

Pat - Arkansas said...

I'm truly enjoying your quilt posts, Jeannelle. The blue in this pattern (which is unknown to me - I'm not a quilter) is still bright and cheerful. I'm glad it was rescued.

DesertHen said...

Another lovely save you have there! I don't know the name of the pattern, but have seen it before. I know, not much help at all.

When my husbands grandmother passed away there were so many things that were just tossed away...a few of those things being quilts! My mother-in-law did save many of them, but I don't know what happened to them. She was going to give one to each of the great-granddaughters, but never has.

Sad when such loving history is lost!

Flea said...

You're so stinkin' funny! I wrack my brain all the time, unfortunately.

Nancy said...

Okay, I know this one too, it's a Bear Paw variation. The great thing about quilts is that there are so many patterns and so much room for creativity when putting the pieces together. I rarely follow a pattern exactly. I like the challenge of seeing a picture of something I like and trying to re-create it in a way I like with my own fabric choices. (Kind of like you do with your photographs) I know there are some quilters who are perfectionists and like to follow the directions exactly and worry about tiny imperfections in their finished quilts, but that's definitely not me. I've heard that Amish quilters would purposely put a "mistake" in their quilts. I'm not sure if this is true, but I never have to try to have mistakes. To the untrained eye however, I'm an awesome quilter, so that's good enough for me. :)