Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Wedding Quilt

My quest to find quilts to blog about has led at last to the cedar chest.  Resting comfortably right under the lid was this one: 

quilt 014 The pattern is eye-catching, that’s for sure.  We received this quilt as a wedding gift nearly thirty-three years ago.  It was pieced by one of my husband’s relatives and the quilting done by church ladies.  Seems like someone at the time said the name of the pattern was “Lone Star”, but I could be wrong about that. 

quilt 016

The colors are nice enough but not ones I would have chosen myself had someone asked me ahead of time.  That’s ok.  We used the quilt for several years before it was relegated to the confines of the cedar chest.  Gears are now turning in my mind---this work of art deserves to be on display, at least some of the time.  Maybe I should look into investing in a quilt-hanger-holder thing for use on a wall.  Or what are other good ways to display quilts?  Don’t say “on a bed” because we live in an old farmhouse where bedrooms inhabit the far-away realm of the second story, out of sight of visitors (and thank goodness for that).

9 comments:

Gail said...

I so believe it is a lone star.

Quilts sometimes are often made with scraps are you are very lucky that each row is the same. Someone took very special care of finding enough of one color to make this come out the way it did.

It is a masterpiece. If you hang it, be sure is it not in direct line and when stored, roll it rather than fold it...but I am sure you know all that...silly me.

Pat - Arkansas said...

Yep! It deserves to be seen.

Leenie said...

After seeing your wonderful collection of quilts I do believe you need to show them off somehow...even the (shudder) peach one. ;0)

Trisha said...

Beautiful quilt. I have been enjoying your blogs about quilts - especially about the peach ones!

DesertHen said...

What beautiful, vibrant colors! I think you should display the quilts...either using a quilt wall hanger (there are some pretty wood ones out there) or even a quilt stand or rack.

Caution/Lisa said...

Isn't it funny how those aren't the colors you would have chosen, but it's beautiful anyway? That is a lesson for me. I hope you find a way to display it.

Nancy said...

A friend has an old ladder that she attached to the wall in her family room and hangs several quilts there for the family to cover up with when they are watching t.v. I've also put a tubular curtain rod on the wall and hung quilts on it. I also have quilts over the back of my couch, as a table cover on an end table, etc. My husband has made me several quilt racks, but they can go anywhere without a fancy rack.
-Nancy

Rose said...

It is a beauty!

Dan said...

I'll take it off your hands if it makes you feel any better. ;-)

Lucky you, I love quilts. Yes, your heard me this fella likes'em. :)