Thursday, February 3, 2011

Favorite Gadget

Thought I’d show you one of those mud pies mentioned in yesterday’s blogpost:

IMG_9111 Actually, the “mud” is chocolate ice cream, made right here at home in my newest favorite kitchen gadget, a thoughtful Christmas gift from our son and daughter-in-law:

IMG_9110 The first photo shows the freezer bowl which “contains cooling liquid within a double insulated wall” which means you avoid the mess of using salt and ice.  The freezer bowl fits inside the motorized base shown in the second photo.  You do need to keep the freezer bowl stored in your freezer, however, so it is ready at any time for ice cream making duty. 

So far, I’ve made only the basic ice creams, vanilla and chocolate, and they are delicious and so very easy.  Those recipes call for milk, cream, sugar, and vanilla or cocoa.  No mono diglycerides, guar gum, carrageenan, or cellulose gum.  Because we operate a dairy farm, in place of the cream and milk in recipes we are conveniently able to use the creamy top layer of milk from the bulk tank in our milkhouse.  

3 comments:

Caution/Lisa said...

Okay. That gadget is calling my name!

DesertHen said...

YUM! Homemade ice cream is my favorite!

Pat - Arkansas said...

What a neat gift! It wouldn't do for me to own one, however, as I've been known to open a container of ice cream and eat until it's all gone. I no longer buy bulk ice cream; I just purchase a cone's worth at a time to calm my craving. :)

I love the taste of fresh milk/cream, the unpasteurized stuff.