Monday, August 1, 2011

Its Butterfly Time

I’m writing these words yesterday.  Think about that for a moment---it truly makes no sense.  Anyway, I just returned from a wildflower hunt on a sweltering Sunday afternoon in which instead I happened upon butterflies.  Its that time of year.

July 31 (11)

Above is a Pearl Crescent butterfly posing atop a Black-eyed Susan.  Below is a Black Swallowtail which was fluttering like crazy through a patch of Queen Anne’s Lace.

July 31 (22) croppedAt that point, wilting in the heat, my camera and I turned to leave and almost missed this Eastern Tiger Swallowtail busily extracting nectar from a cluster of Swamp Milkweed.

July 31 Eastern Tiger Swallowtail

2 comments:

rhymeswithplague said...

Gorgeous photos...

DesertHen said...

Lovely! The last one is my favorite!