Saturday, August 6, 2011

Odd Mullein

The other day I walked down the road a little further than usual and found this unusual plant.  It is Common Mullein, an odd-looking plant in the first place, but this one was REALLY bizarre-looking:

Aug 4 (5) The whole plant was about eight feet tall.  I’ve seen many Common Mulleins, but never one with these multiple flower stalks at the mid-section, and never one as tall:  

Aug 4 (3) Maybe a showering of farm chemicals was to blame for the berserk growth pattern.  Usually, the Common Mullein has only one flowering stalk above its leaves.

 

Aug 4 (2)

2 comments:

Sissy said...

wow, that is a strange one! We have those growing all over the place, here. The look so vulgar to me!

DesertHen said...

I have actually seen these growing in our valley. I never knew what they were and now I do. I guess next time I will get up close to check out the flowering pattern on them.