Monday, October 24, 2011

Cordova Park Tower

On Saturday, this farmwife blogger roamed to the Pella area once again, and decided to visit the Cordova Park Tower on the shores of the Red Rock Reservoir of the Des Moines River.  With a height of 100 feet, it is the tallest observation tower in the Midwest and features the world’s tallest and longest continuous set of fiberglass stairs.  How about that!     

10.22.11 (94)  It used to be a water tower.  Read about it in this next photo.  Click to enlarge for easier reading…

10.22.11 (77) I’ve never mustered the courage to climb the ladders of our farm silos, but the Cordova Tower’s safely enclosed staircase was no problem.  Round and round I went, finally reaching the top observation deck.  Here’s the view to the east…

10.22.11 (67) …and, to the west, with the “Mile Long Bridge” in the distance…

10.22.11 (69)

The long-spanned bridge looked intriguing, so I drove over there for a closer inspection…

10.22.11 (99) Then I headed homeward.

4 comments:

Gail said...

What a wonderful tower and the views are amazing. I like your perspective of the bridge. A wonderful relaxing way to spend the afternoon.

Michaele said...

Nice view point, but I am sure it would have made me dizzy. Good workout on those stairs I bet.

Gayle said...

Oh my goodness, I was smiling as I saw the view, WOW! So beautiful... Love your blog by the way it is my first time visiting. I will stop by again.
Blessings,
Gayle from Behind the Gate

DesertHen said...

Wow! Amazing views! That's a lot of stairs!!!