Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Silo Vines

Oct 10 (4) One of our silos is into multi-tasking.  Its interior holds feed for the cows while the exterior serves as a trellis for various vines.  These first two photos show a wild grapevine….  

Oct 10 (5) On the other side of the silo is some other kind of vine.  We have Virginia Creepers crawling up trees and sheds here on our farmstead, but I don’t think this is one.

Oct 10 (12) I zoomed in as closely as I could to try and show the toeholds this vine uses.  It tightly hooks itself right into the cement of the silo staves and is difficult to pull off.  Amazing!

  Oct 10 (11)

These photos were taken yesterday as sunshine and warmish temperatures (in the 60’s) continued.  Farmers in our area are busy harvesting corn and soybeans; my husband helped a neighbor haul corn to town.       

9 comments:

Gail said...

Those grapes make the best jelly ever!!! Marcy had worked ours into beautiful jars of sweet delight.

Harvesting these flavorful beauties is a whole 'nother ballgame.

Kateri said...

The grapevines look like they have woven a wreath around the silo. Very pretty.

Laurie Brandriet Keller said...

Good morning and thanks for checking out my blog. I just went through some of your photos and love your appreciation of this beautiful part of the world. xoxo.

Pat said...

I LOVE these photos, especially that second one! It's funny how we can find simply beauty right around us, right?

Lori Skoog said...

I especially love the grape vines on the silo.

Our warm spell is going to come to a screeching halt tomorrow, as the temperature goes down at least 15 degrees and it starts to rain.

Gigi Ann said...

Your pictures are lovely, and enjoy yet another day of warmth, tomorrow may not be this warm.

Nancy said...

I'm not sure what that vine is, Jeannelle, but it sure has a good hold on your silo!

We have a few wild grapevines, but never any grapes. Love your photos -- :)

Michaele said...

Nice photos. I was going to ask if you could use the grapes, but Gail answered my question.

DesertHen said...

Lovely shot of the silo and vine! I haven't seen wild grapes for a long time! We had virginia creeper at one of the places we lived in. It was always so pretty in the fall.