Friday, October 7, 2011

Solomon’s Seal

A couple weeks ago the Solomon’s Seal in the road ditch was blazing a golden last hurrah for the season…

Sept 22 (18)

(Lefty sometimes tags along on photo hunts…)

Sept 22 (3)  The Solomon’s Seal patch was packed with intriguing photo ops…

Sept 21 (5)I have no clue if these blueberry look-a-likes are edible… 

Sept 21 (3)  According to my Peterson Field Guide, the roots of Solomon’s Seal were used as Indian and folk remedies to treat indigestion, coughs, profuse menstruation, piles, constipation, rheumatism, arthritis, lung ailments, skin irritations, sharp pains, cuts, bruises, sores, carbuncles, and “general debility”.  Also used to promote restful sleep.  Sounds to me like a fairly broad-spectrum pharmaceutical!  

10 comments:

Louis la Vache said...

Fine images of the Solomon's Seal!

«Louis» thanks you for visiting San Francisco Bay Daily Photo.

Pearl said...

Love how many things it's good for! I'm thinking I might need to scope these out, see if they're available in Minnesota!

Pearl

Nancy said...

These are so pretty in the spring and summer too! Great captures, Jeanelle. :)

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Geese Louise, where the stinkin Solomon's Seal when I was poppin' Midol and eatin' chocolate for some relief???? Heeehehehe!

Absolutely gorgeous shots sweetie!!! :o)

God bless and have a wonderful weekend!

Michaele said...

hmmmm wonder if they could also make a good dye? Love the last shot.

DesertHen said...

Sounds like natures wonder drug to me...lol! Beautiful shots! Love the blue of the berry against the golden colored leaves!

Prairie Rose said...

Great Pics!
SO beautiful and autumn-ish:)
Your dog is so cute too!
Thank you for stopping my blog!
Have a great day, New Friend!

Gail said...

I knew the roots were medicinal but know nothing of the berries.

Swamp Dog said...

I bought some of this for my garden a few years ago, it appears to occur naturally in your area. I explained to my wife that most plants we buy are considered weeds somewhere else. But it is nice to have something different in the garden.

TheChieftess said...

Lovely color and I love the macro!!!