Sunday, December 11, 2011

Sledding Scene

Here’s another painting from the Pella Library:

9.24.11 Pella (100) I’ve never parachuted or bungee-jumped or even skied, but I have ridden a speeding sled down an ice-covered hill, in the dark, no less!  The experience was simultaneously exhilarating and frightening!  And, very stupid.  It was back when I was maybe twelve years old.  A winter storm had left an unusually thick coating of ice everywhere.  After evening chores, I took a sled out to a snow-drift-covered field and went hurtling down the slope.  The sled picked up some serious speed and I held on for dear life.  I hadn’t told my parents what I was doing, so, if I’d have been knocked unconscious, they’d have found me frozen out there in the field the next day. 

5 comments:

Michaele said...

I have done this too. An unforgettable memory. But it was light out. hehe

Nancy said...

I did this same thing with a friend down a golf course slope. At night. I'm lucky I didn't get killed. Good times! ;)

DesertHen said...

What a happy picture! I remember sledding with my cousins at my aunt and uncle's cabin! So fun!

Anonymous said...

We all have done those things... I'll be it was exhilarating, and the secret was part of that!

Ms. Becky said...

oh wow do I love that painting. it's delightful, so thanks for sharing. I had a similar experience sledding at night, only I was with a friend under a dark January sky. Ice storms are perfect for sledding - we used to use the road when driving was impossible. those were the days. happy week to you Jeannelle.