Sunday, July 1, 2012

An Old Fort

As mentioned in the previous post, here’s the historic site my husband and I stopped at on our recent afternoon drive: 

June 30 (36) The town owns the same name, Fort Atkinson.  I blogged about the fort a few years ago.  Click here to go to that blogpost which includes historical info.  My husband and I did a quick walkabout of the fort grounds.  Notice how dry the grass is.  Rain is needed! 

June 30 (27)

This stairway leads down the hill to an old church:

June 30 (26) There were plenty of stone walls to look at.  What a job it must have been to build those!  The limestone was quarried from the same hill the fort sits on.  I took this photo to use as a computer screen background:

June 30 (35) Click here to go to a website for Fort Atkinson, Iowa.

2 comments:

Terry and Linda said...

I LOVED!!!! This trip with you! Getting away is a must, good for the body, the mind and the soul.

We milked 6-6 (long-time ago) which is what I think you must do also.


Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

Gail said...

I love history.

Thanks for the journey you've shared the last few days.