Saturday, September 8, 2012

Amish Scenes

Yesterday my husband was talking to an Amish farmer and I sat in the pickup waiting for him.  Silo-filling was going on there.  Horse-drawn loads of cut corn waited to be unloaded at the gasoline-engine-powered silage chopper.  Its against their religion for the Amish to have their photos taken, but I figured the horses wouldn’t care.  The windmill does pump water out of the well---I could see it working.    

Sept 7 (3) cropped

We also saw corn shocks out in the fields. 

Sept 7 (1)

This Amish community isn’t far from where we live.  Even though there’s an electric pole in view, they are Old-Order Amish and don’t use electricity.  They are also known as “House Amish” because they hold their church services in homes.  When I was a kid, we sometimes took Sunday drives in Amish country.  We’d see a farmyard full of buggies and know that that was where church was being held that day.  The word “Amish” comes from the name of their early leader in Europe, Jakob Ammann. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures. I love those cornstacks in the field. It's nice that you are respectful of not taking their picture. Some are not so considerate.

Ruth Hiebert said...

They certainly have a special way of living. We have the Hutterites here but not amish.

Reamus said...

Thanks for the shots, always loved seeing an Amish farm, you can always tell the difference.

GeckoGirl said...

It's been ages since I posted let alone commented on your blog; please forgive me I've been busy. I love hearing about Amish and their way of life. I also love the way their farms are so neat and clean, wish ordinary folks would do that with their country homes and acreage. Thank you for the photos of their beautiful way of life.