Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Winter Chore Attire


     Drum roll, please!  In this post I will tell you about my farm chore attire in the wintertime.  Over the years, by trial and error, I've learned what works for me.

     My boot of choice is the six-inch Jobber Muck Boot.  Actually, I wear them year-round.  They have the advantage of being quick and easy to get on and off which is handy for me since I go back and forth between the barn and the house quite often.  Since starting to wear these boots several years ago, I no longer get cold toes in the winter.  I do put insole inserts in them for more support.  One pair lasts me about a year-and-a-half.  I don't feel guilty spending the money on them---I wore poor chore footwear for many years and had enough of that.  And, hey, its my chance to make a contribution to the farm expenses that are deducted at tax time!  I've never found any of these particular Muck Boots in stores, so I order them online.   

     My chore coat is a dark brown canvas one from Carhartt.  I bought it several years ago at a farm store.  I think it is a women's coat, but I can't find it on the Carhartt website anymore.  That worries me.  I should have bought two of them back then because when it wears out I will be very sad if I can't find another one like it.  It is car coat length and is very warm and has a hood and is cut longer in the back.  The zipper can be zipped up from the bottom, also, which is helpful when climbing over fences and such.  Before acquiring this coat, I wore insulated coveralls that looked sort of like this picture I found on the internet:
       
     They made me feel claustrophobic, though, and that's why I switched to wearing a coat.  So then what do I wear to keep my legs warm, you may ask.  Well, I wear Cuddl Duds under my chore jeans. They provide warmth in a non-bulky way.  The link leads to a Hanes outlet website.  I don't buy the Cuddl Duds from there, but I do on occasion order things from there or from their catalog---items that I need and can't find in any store.

     Knit headbands around my ears and neck and insulated gloves for my hands finish out my wintertime chore get-up.  Warmth, comfort, and practicality has to take precedence over style, of course.

   

7 comments:

MarmePurl said...

Most Helpful Info...especially the footwear

MarmePurl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh I just bought my first pair of hot pink Muck Boots and you are so right. I am so glad I spent the money, I hope we have a long beautiful warm life together.:) They are already covered with manure but they still look beautiful to me. B

Nancy said...

Comfort and usefulness outweigh fashion every time -- for me anyhows. :)

Leave It To Davis said...

My husband envys you....he wants a carhart insulated jumpsuit so bad to go hunting in. He always feels bad for spending the money on it since it doesn't get cold here that much, but when it does, he's stuck here at the house or he freezes to death. So just know that someone out here really wishes they were dressing just like you! :)

And the coat sounds really cute! Do you have a Tractor Supply in your town? Maybe they have one.

Terry and Linda said...

I love my carhart coat, but hate the coveralls. They are so HEAVY!

Great post!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

Jeannelle said...

Leave It To Davis, yes, there is a TSC in Waterloo and I should check there.