Thursday, January 17, 2013

1977 Trip to St. Louis


     Just call me a blogger blowin' in the wind today, this post having been prompted by another blogger's post.  Recently, Bluff Area Daily  blogged photos taken near the Gateway Arch in St. Louis, Missouri, which reminded me that I had been there once.  On Labor Day weekend in 1977 to be exact.  Here's a photo I took from inside the top of the Arch.  To get up there, we rode in little compartments that had seats in them and I recall that as I got in it seemed like I was climbing into a clothes dryer.

    
     Back home earlier that weekend I had been the maid-of-honor in a wedding and after the reception my husband-to-be and I drove most of the night to get to St. Louis.  We were young and weren't fazed by doing something like that.  We also went to the St. Louis Zoo and on the way home stopped in Hannibal to see Mark Twain's house and toured the famous cave from Tom Sawyer.   Here's the car we drove down there in, my future husband's Pontiac LeMans:


     That's an old-style Iowa license plate.  The car owner's county of residence was indicated by a smaller number ahead of the license number.  Number 9 stood for Bremer County which in our case was untrue because neither of us lived in that county, but the former owner of the car did.  We lived in county number 7.  Does anybody know which county that is?  Nowadays you take your license plate off and keep it when you trade or sell your car.

     Lastly, here's a view of river and road traffic along the Mighty Mississippi.  I decided to remove my future husband who was sitting on that bench on the left side of the photo. Actually, though, he still is part of my life's picture.




2 comments:

Leave It To Davis said...

Oh, I love these with pictures with all the old cars...and I'd be willing to bet traffic never looks like that in St. Louis anymore.

I have often wished that as we had, over the years, taken pictures of our town and the businesses that were here...because they have changed so much over the years. I have begun doing that now, documenting change for my kids and grandkids, so they will know what their town did look like "back in the day". I'll bet there are some people in St. Louis that would love to have your pictures.

It's super cool that you went to Mark Twain's house and the cave from Tom Sawyer. I loved his books and read them to my boys in the early 2000's, but had to change certain words because they are way not politically correct nowadays. I think they are still relevant, but woo, some of the words just aren't right. :)

Unknown said...

7 would be Blackhawk Co.
(former Iowan)