Thursday, November 19, 2020

Cat Names

The picture shows two of our many farm cats. 

The larger of the two is called Neal Page.  Any idea where that name comes from?  You're right, its the name of Steve Martin's character in the movie, "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles".  We also had a Del Griffith (John Candy's character}, but that cat has passed on. 

 As for the movie, it is one of our family's favorites.  When the kids were young, we watched it every Thanksgiving.  I had taped it from the TV once so we had a copy without bad words.

The smaller cat in the photo has the name Dinky, because it is so little.  Spunky it is, too, and I think it will survive the coming winter.  Sometimes small cats don't.

Of course, I have a story to go with the word "dinky".  When my father-in-law was alive he would often talk about his boyhood on the farm.  That was back in the day of using horses for farming.  They also milked cows (by hand) and had to take the milkcans into town by horse and wagon, a job which sometimes fell to my father-in-law and his younger brother.  On the edge of town were railroad tracks and one time the boys weren't paying attention and nearly were hit by the "dinky".  That was a small train which carried mail and other things.  My father-in-law said the horse saved their lives as it suddenly galloped ahead to avoid being struck by the dinky train.

I miss my father-in-law and his telling of stories.  I miss all the older family folks who are now gone.  Their lives were much different way back when and they had to live through WW1 and WW2.  They would certainly be surprised and intrigued by the internet and the worlds we inhabit online.


Have a great day.
Stay safe and well.

1 comment:

Pierre Mercer said...

This is a greaat post thanks