Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Veterans' Day


 Well, it's Veterans' Day, the eleventh day of the eleventh month.  We honor all who have served in our armed forces.  My father-in-law was a Marine during the Korean War and my father served in the Army then, too.  Many men that age were veterans.  A couple men in our community were involved in D-day, but I always heard that they wouldn't talk about it because they saw so many other soldiers get killed and injured.  

When I was junior high age a soldier from our small town was killed in Vietnam.  His name was Steve.  Around the same time another soldier graduate of our school went MIA.  His name was John.  Several years later his remains were found.  A guy from our church served in Vietnam and, thankfully, he came home again.  

So, those three were the only soldiers I knew of.  Most information about Vietnam came to me via the television.  News from Walter Cronkite and Bob Hope's shows for the soldiers.  Hopefully, I read the newspaper once in a while.

3 comments:

rhymeswithplague said...

I am a veteran who served Mosley in peacetime (Jan 1961 to Oct 1965)z. Anyone who was on active duty after Sept 1964 is called a ‘Vietnam era” veteran. I was Air Force. I served mostly in Florida and in the underground command post at Strategic Air Command (SAC) Headquarters near Omaha, Nebraska, as a computer programmer. Thanks to the training I received in the Air Force, I was hired by IBM after I got out of the military.

rhymeswithplague said...

Mosley should be mostly!

Jeannelle said...

Thank you for your service! And, that's great it helped you in your future career.