Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Lady-In-Waiting


Miss Kitty patiently awaits her maternity confinement........ in a couple more weeks, maybe. Can anyone make an obstetrical prediction from the width of her belly? At this point in her pregnancy, she's become very sensitive to being picked up, so we leave her alone as much as possible. She spent most of yesterday outdoors, hopefully discussing kittycare plans with her current hubby, Cal.......we think its him, anyway. Miss Kitty delivered her first batch of kittens last July.......she produced five, of which four lived past infancy, of which three still survive, of which two remain living here at our farm. We gave one to my niece.

For twenty-eight years of our marriage, Husband and I wouldn't think of allowing a cat to live in the house, but then in late summer of 2006, on my way to the barn one morning I heard a faint mewing in a bush by the house. It was a tiny kitten, apparently abandoned by one of the wild barn cats during the night. I put the little ball of fluff in a box, along with warm milk in a mayonnaise jar lid, and the kitty quickly started lapping it up. It was almost as if the kitten was a gift from Heaven........those spring and summer months of 2006 had been difficult for me, and this new kitten turned out to be just what was needed to help turn things around to the positive.
**************
Our entire family fell hopelessly in love and bestowed on her the very original name of "Miss Kitty". We think she's quite beautiful with her golden face, fluffy white front, and white feet (take my word for it). These days, she is queen of our house, although she loves to spend her days outdoors. She is simply a wonderful cat, and adds something very special to our household......(and I don't mean the litterbox)! A few years ago I never would've imagined I'd ever write or say such glowing words about a feline. Who woulda thunk it.........

***************************************

Sherry, of the extremely interesting and informative blog, "A Feather Adrift", informed me yesterday that she hasn't seen my header photo for a couple of weeks now. The header space stays blank for her after the blog page has loaded. If that's going on for any of the rest of you, please let me know in the comments, if you have time. The photo is of a road and farm field, topped by a sky full of clouds. Thanks!! A couple weeks ago I did redo the photo a bit, adding some color. That involved deleting the old photo and uploading the more colorful one.......and it seems to be possibly at that point that Sherry stopped seeing the header photo at all. It is visible when I view the blog, though.


Let's see, the Dr. Dictionary word for the day is "misnomer".........but, how shall I use that in this post?? It doesn't seem to fit anywhere. Oh........I know........yesterday in the comments section on his own blog, "Iowa Grasslands", Russell mistakenly referred to Country Girl as me, "Jeannelle"........which means the name he gave to Country Girl is a "misnomer"! Thanks, Russell, for providing an opportunity to use that word! Otherwise, I'd have been up a creek without a paddle. Russell has a cool clock on his blog now, too.

Have a superb day, everyone!!

5 comments:

Down on the Farm said...

Good morning Jeanelle:
Your comments on your cat required me to comment right back at you. My mom taught the three of us to hate cats, as she did. I have no idea why she didn't like cats. Circumstances brought a cat to me over a year ago. (Involved story) I now have this cat called Kat. (My grand kids pushed for a name and that is what came to the mind quickly) This cat suits me perfectly. She is half Siamese and half???maybe Persian. She doesn't require much of anything from me nor I her. We are a perfect pair. One of my brothers now lives with my son who is a cat lover and BB (baby brother) now enjoys cats himself.

If you look quite a ways back on my blogs, you will find a picture of Kat that I enjoy. Connie

Mary Connealy said...

That is a very ROUND cat. :)

Sherry said...

Loved the story about Miss Kitty. We have one like that, our first, Miss Kate (after Kathyrn Hepburn) She hates the 3 boys we got later. She demands queenly care all the time.

Sorry to get you all worked up about the header. I'm sure I just shut down the download too quick. I did today with 36 images to go, one was surely the header.

I love Russells new clock too. I would steal one, but lol...I don't want to be a copy cat. But I still might! I love bells and whistles.

Take care!

Country Girl said...

Hi. I'd like to introduce myself. I'm Miss Nomer.

Love it, Jeannelle! And your photo at the top of your blog is there for me. Always was. I love that picture.

I want to guess 5 kittens for Miss Kitty. I see she already had 5, but when I looked at her, I thought of that number. So I'm sticking with that. I think she's just purrfect.

Nice story!

Jeannelle said...

Thank you all for the comments (you, too, Miss Nomer.....cute!)!

You'll be the first to know when Miss Kitty's delivers. Last evening we found her upstairs, where she never goes, wandering around in the bedrooms.....searching for a spot to nest in, no doubt.