Thursday, April 10, 2008

Angels & Magazines

This pair of angels somehow clamored for attention in the murky light this morning as I groped towards the coffeemaker:

Speaking of murky......its basically been that way all day today. Gloomy, rainy, and very windy. Husband and I watched an old Hitchcock movie this afternoon, "The Lady Vanishes". It has a unique plot, unlike anything I've seen before, so for that reason it easily kept my attention from falling victim to an attack of snoozing.

*****************************

Over the years, I've tried to cut down on the number of magazine subscriptions coming to this farm's address. Usually, glossy stacks of them languish, unread, their main purpose being to fill a recycling tote. Over time, there have been subscriptions to Good Housekeeping, Oprah, Country Woman, Country, Farm & Ranch, Midwest Living, The Iowan, Readers' Digest, and others. Loads of farm magazines and publications come seemingly of their own free will......we certainly never pay for them, but they keep showing up in the mailbox........Farm Journal, Dairyman's Digest, Wallace's Farmer, Midwest Dairy Business, Dairy Today, DairyStar, and believe it or not, many others. The only farm magazine we actually pay for is Hoard's Dairyman.

Needless to say, the stacks of magazines really pile up around here, along with bull catalogs, and catalogs for every little thing under the sun. Its practically a full-time job trying to keep up with shifting them from mailbox to kitchen table to kitchen counter to Husband's "office" to end tables, and finally, to the recycling tote.

There is one little magazine I've subscribed to for years and years, because my mom always did, and that is "Guideposts". I remember even as a kid reading the amazing and inspirational stories in it. There was one Guideposts story I remember reading over and over back then......it was about a woman whose car had gone over a cliff, throwing her out onto a narrow ledge high above a gorge. There, for several days, I think, she clung to a small tree and kept shouting for help, and praying. Finally, miraculously, she was rescued. Anyway, the story seemed simply amazing to me.......and Guideposts is famous for featuring true stories such as that. I also subscribe to "Angels", which is another small magazine published by the Guideposts group. There's wonderfully fascinating stories in there, too.

Everyone around here enjoys Discover magazine, so that's one subscription that repeatedly gets renewed. Last year, in a fit of strange madness, I somehow managed to subscribe to two rather high-minded Christian magazines, "First Things" and "Touchstone". "First Things" is way above my head most of the time. "Touchstone" is a tad bit easier to comprehend, most of the time.

Last week, the newest copy of "First Things" arrived. Last evening, I waded into one of the articles, entitled "Uncomfortable Unbelief" by Wilfred M. McClay. He was reviewing the book, A Secular Age, by Charles Taylor, which the article's author describes as a "sprawling, ambitious, exasperating, confusing, and profoundly important new book".

Most of the article, as per most "First Things" offerings, is way beyond what I know or care about. One paragraph, though, I found interesting. McClay is stating that the book states:

"At the outset of the human story, religion was 'naive' and the world was permeated with spirits. Individual self-consciousness was nonexistent, for the 'porous' self remained open to the currents of external influence, unable to discern clear boundaries between self and nonself, or make clear distinctions between personal agency and impersonal force. Unbelief under such circumstances was literally unthinkable."

This caught my attention because I've read this type of thing before.......that at one time humans did not have a concept of an individual self. They identified totally with their tribe or community. Try to imagine that.......not being aware that you are a separate individual. Like part of a flock of birds flying around.....you move as one in a group.

I've also read that in some cases of "mental illness", the affected person seems to come to a similar "porous" condition, thinking the world is speaking to them, and they are too open and aware of the world around them. The ego sinks away and too much information comes pouring in. Sorry to blog about something so bizarre, but I find it fascinating.

Near the end of the article, McClay says, "......consciously shared and historically grounded belief and practice is the absolutely necessary basis of healthy community----in a church or anyplace else." He says we suffer today from "rootless radical individualism". He also states that the book's author "observes that 'we are just at the beginning of a new age of religious searching, whose outcome no one can foresee.' "

I'm in favor of Christians being united......I firmly believe all believers in Christ should be able to share Communion together.......but, that doesn't happen.....how to correctly view the bread and wine seems to be the stickler. They can rant and rant all they want about Christians needing to be like-minded, blah, blah, blah......but they never make efforts to remove the fences surrounding Communion beliefs. And far as all of us being too individualistic, especially us Americans.......how in the heck else are we supposed to live?? We don't exist all clumped together in little villages like back in Bible times.......everything is, for better or for worse, entirely different now.

There now, I've ranted on this rainy day about something I'm not qualified to rant about. I doubt I'll renew the "First Things" subscription, though......its just too much work to read the articles.

9 comments:

Russell said...

Interesting observations... I really like magazines and newspapers, a whole lot. I have never learned, yet, to read the news online. I know a lot of people do and they go to CNN online and so on. But for me there is nothing better than getting a New York Times, bringing it home and spending time going through it.

Of course I love books, too. I just brought Doctor Zhivago tonight and will read it - finally, I hope. I have promised myself to read the book first and then, after all these years, I will watch the movie!

Take care and glad to hear you have lots of good magazines in your home.

Jeannelle said...

Thanks for commenting, Russell! I have never seen the movie version of Dr.Zhivago, but I read the book in high school. Enjoy!

Mary Connealy said...

I read Anna Karinninanas (that may be mispelled.

Here's a hint, don't read books written by Russians,

No Reason.

The thing with Anna karininia was, I read the whole thing, checked it out of the libary, read it for like...40 days...or was that how long Noah was on the ark? I don't know but it was long.
And when I took it back, thinking mildly, well that made no sense and had a bad end, but at least now I can say I read Tolstoy, or dostoyefsky or whoever wrote it.

When I put it on the shelf...PART TWO.

I am not kidding. I'd only read half the book.
I cried but I took the other half home. All I remember is, the second half ended as bad as the first half.

Book Reviews by Mary

Jeannelle said...

Oh, Mary,

That's a good one. You're way ahead of me.....I never attempted Anna Karenina.....is she the one who threw herself in front of a train? Too sad. I did try to read War & Peace once, a long time ago......I'm certain I didn't finish it. Also, I remember reading a book by Ayn Rand that was dismally set in post-revolution Russia.....very depressing. Oh, but Nicholas & Alexandra was fascinating.....its not fiction, though.

Are you getting snow today? Husband told me he heard on the radio that South Dakota has 12 inches of snow forecasted....

Have a pleasant day, anyway!

Mary Connealy said...

Nice goin' Jeanelle. Ruin the book for EVERYONE. Yeesh.

Jeannelle said...

But if a person hears that, then maybe they'll be very interested in finding out why she would do such a thing.....prompting them to wade into the book to find out. :D

Sherry said...

I'm a magazine junkie but have it under control at the moment. I used to by magazines by the bucketful every week. Read the Russians, especially dovstoyevsky. But his books are dark. I've read war and peace twice and anna karenina.

Hey Jeanelle, I agree with you on the sacrement of the eucharist. Catholics are idiotic about this, as about most things. lol. I know a wonderful priest who always invited everyone to partake. That sends the wacko right into spasms of apoplexy I tell ya.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE "Guideposts" and read it cover to cover. I also like "Christian Women's Magazine." You make an interesting observation about how Christians work so hard to segregate ourselves. I think it goes way beyond communion.

I really appreciate your blog. Thanks for always making me think :)

Jeannelle said...

Sherry,

Wow...you've read War & Peace, twice even!!

And that priest you mentioned sounds like my kind of guy. Our pastors have been tightening things up lately on Communion, and I just do not get it, and that's why I gripe about it. I feel if we refuse Communion to another Christian, we are in effect saying, "You are not a Christian."

*******************

caution,

Glad to hear of another Guideposts reader!! Yes, that little magazine has always been a part of my life.

I think the fences in Christendom are ridiculous.