Friday, April 25, 2008

Shopping Day Thoughts

Save it for a rainy day, they say........and sometimes I save certain types of shopping for rainy days, such as browsing for a mother-of-the-groom dress, which I decided to do yesterday. As you can see, the morning was dreary and wet, and remained so until mid-afternoon.
The photo below was taken from the Kohl's parking lot in Cedar Falls; the strange mound in the distance is the UNI-Dome, the sports and multi-purpose arena on the campus of the University of Northern Iowa, where my daughter is a student. The campanile is in front of the Dome, flanked by the old college buildings.
The road to our farm is rather a mess right now, as are many roads in the area. The frost continues to boil up out of the ground, creating muddy ruts and potholes.
Despite all the mud and rainy gloom, around sunset the sky briefly displayed an array of lovely clouds. And I do mean it was brief.......shortly after this photo was taken, another thunderstorm moved in. West of us a few counties, there were tornado warnings issued.
*****************
I browsed in Dillard's and VonMaur yesterday, to see what the dressy occasion styles are looking like right now. Shopping for dresses is not high on my list of favorite things to do......I'm a separates person. Actually, my favorite type of clothes-shopping is when I serendipitously find items on the clearance racks........in particular, the clearance racks at a store such as Norby's Farm Fleet.......to go into a farm store with the intention of buying nuts and bolts or tractor oil and grease for Husband, and come out also with an item of clothing for myself.......now that's the highlight of apparel-shopping for me!! Sometimes, they have really nice clothes at Farm Fleet........its really random, though; its like they get in a supply of some other store's cast-offs. Who knows.

Anyway, like I said, browsing was all I did today as far as the mother-of-the-groom dress is concerned. The wedding isn't until August, so there's plenty of time left to shop. I did buy a few items at Kohl's-----and do any of you shop at Kohl's? And does your Kohl's constantly have rack upon rack of clearance clothes, all through the year? This one in Cedar Falls sure does. I just shake my head every time I go into that store; although, admittedly, searching through the sale racks is fun! Today there were several rows of 80% and 90% off, bringing prices down to near garage-sale levels. Fun, fun!

*********************

Have an enjoyable day!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kohl's is amazing. It seems like everything is on sale year round.

I think your weather front is arriving here today. Those gray skies in your pictures are looking very familiar.

Mary Connealy said...

A rainy day here. Cold, 38 degrees this morning. Wanted to stay in bed. :) Didn't get to.

Sherry said...

Lucky you Jeannelle. Water is running now like a river. Most of it i think is making its way to our east west running creek, maybe 50 yards from the house. The sun is actually out. I'm hopeful!

I got a $5 dollar coupon for Kohls so I'm anxious to get into Cedar Rapids and spend it. LOL...I'm heading to the kitchen gadgets one of my favorite places.

Jeannelle said...

caution,

I hope you're not getting severe storms or too much rain. And you have Kohls where you are, too.....I'm never sure how many states those stores are in.

Mary,

Now that cold weather has moved into our area, too. :(
Its been getting steadily colder since noon.

Sherry,

All that water in my next two posts is headed your way if you're near the Wapsi. Hopefully, you're not, but it sounds like you have a creek near you. I hope it won't cause flooding problems for you.

In Kohls yesterday I only made it to the clothing department, but I like their housewares and bedding sections, too. Sometimes I find cool stuff on clearance there, too.

Anonymous said...

Hope you enjoyed your shopping. Too used to visit Dillards for online shopping for fashion apparel and home furnishings.