Thursday, April 24, 2008

Update On Bird Nest

Ok, I have an update on that bird nest built in the grass on the shoulder of our road. I wasn't entirely certain what kind of bird it belonged to. But, I found out yesterday morning and here is the proof.......the unsafely situated nest was constructed by a robin, as you can see in the photo below:

****************
****************
Right after I snapped that first photo, the robin flew away, giving me a chance to tiptoe over and peek into the nest. By golly, there's an egg in there! Oh, it will be fun to keep an eye on this interesting situation......although, I'm truly having qualms about the safety of the nesting spot. I don't like it at all; but, hopefully, the robins are wiser than I give them credit for.

This nest is right out in the open, on the ground, where predators can easily get at it, and has no protection from rain and wind. Why would a robin couple choose such an unusual place for their nest? Very perplexing.



5 comments:

Treasia Stepp said...

That is a very strange place for a Robin to build their nest. I hope the little one makes it. It will be interesting to see the whole process from practically start to finish.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Treasia!

Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

Yes, I'm looking forward to watching this nest, too. Its raining this morning and I keep thinking of that robin sitting out there in it. Makes me want to build a shelter for the nest.....

Sherry said...

How odd Jeannelle. I have never heard or seen a robin build a nest on the ground. I wonder if she is a tad "slow" as they say. I figured it would be a killdeer for sure. I used to have to mow around their nests on my lawn years ago in MI. I'm not very confident her and her little ones will make it.:(

Mary Connealy said...

Great picture. I predict a dire outcome but in the meantime it's like DRAMA ON THE BLOG.

Jeannelle said...

Sherry,

Bird nests are built by bird couples, right? I guess opposites don't attract because this pair of robin mates must both be slow!

Mary,

I agree......but, you never know. There's an angry-looking mass of stormclouds moving in from the west right now.....poor robin.