Sunday, April 20, 2008

Werner Sallman Signature

This photo shows the familiar "Head of Christ" painting by Werner Sallman (1892-1968). I snapped this in the chapel room at Mission Central on Thursday.

On our way home from Mission Central, our bus tour group was treated to supper at a Lutheran Church along our homeward route. In the parish hall where we ate hung "Head of Christ" in a large frame, and we filed by it on our way to pick up our plates of food. It had the usual printing of the artist's name in the lower right corner, showing, too, that it had been copyrighted in 1941.

In addition, on the left side was the artist's own signature, "Werner Sallman", and the year "1964". There were also three Bible passages listed in the artist's handwriting. Here they are (RSV):

John 14:1-6
***************
"Let not your hearts be troubled; believe in God; believe also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And when I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. And you know the way where I am going." Thomas said to him, "Lord, we do not know where you are going; how can we know the way? Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me....."
****************
Philippians 2: 8-11
****************
And being found in human form he humbled himself and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
***************
II Corinthians 4:6
***************
For it is the God who said, "Let light shine out of darkness", who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.
*******************************************************
I found it rather significant, to see these verses referred to by the artist himself. The II Corinthians reference, especially, seems to point to what inspired Werner Sallman to paint this glowing face of Christ........"the light of the knowledge of the glory of God........".
************************
I'm not trying to preach........I just thought this might be an appropriate subject for a Sunday blog post.
P.S. ------ Here is an interesting little article about how the artistic depictions of Christ have evolved over the centuries.
************************
Have a peaceful, relaxing day!!

1 comment:

Country Girl said...

Jeannelle, I must agree about the II Corinthians passage.

I grew up with this same portrait in our living room in every home we lived. And Jesus' face seemed to glow.

Yes, it was an appropriate subject for a Sunday post! Too bad I'm not reading this until Tuesday, but it still works.