Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Busy Monday, Monday

Remember that song, "Monday, Monday" from the Mamas & The Papas? No reason for asking, but that tune is running through my mind as I write this post late Monday evening (to be posted on Tuesday, of course).

A very busy Monday it was.........Husband cut the rye field..........you can see the winrows lying on the ground in the evening sun. The rye will be chopped and bagged in a couple days for silage to feed to the cows. Rye is seeded in the fall, so it will start growing right away the following spring.

My day was busy, too.......too busy for my liking; not hard work, just too much running around. The milk check had arrived over the weekend, so I had to coax and plead with it to stre-t-ch over all the bills waiting in a pile on the desk. It did......barely, as is normal.

Then as soon as that two-hour-or-so task was done, it was fill the dishwasher, fill the clothes washer, and run to the bank in our nearby small town, and then drive to Waterloo for groceries and garden plants. (I should have stayed home and mowed the lawn, but the cupboards were getting pretty bare. Actually, I was hoping it would rain as forecasted so I wouldn't feel guilty about gadding about shopping, but it didn't.) On my way to Waterloo, I detoured over to the pioneer cemetery near where I grew up.......to take some photos, what else!!

Rarely do I see people I know while shopping in Waterloo, but today I ran into my sister and niece at Walmart, and an old friend from childhood at Target. Oh, my......we gabbed and laughed in the bread aisle for probably 45 minutes........she was there to buy supplies for her son's graduation party next Sunday. Its her first time for doing that and she's nervous and worried about having enough food prepared. I told her to make it as easy as possible, and don't stress too much over the food........most of the guests will be making the rounds of many graduation parties and probably won't eat much.......that's been my experience. If you run out of food......you run out of food.....no big deal.

All that yacking delayed me from getting home in time to feed calves; but, not to worry, because now that the track season is finally over with, our son gets home earlier from school and can do more chores. Lucky him!

As soon as I got home, the sky was turning absolutely beautiful and needed its picture taken, so I had to run around outdoors and do that before putting the groceries away and fixing supper for Husband and Son, who were hungry as bears. There's just no rest for the wicked!!


Above are grape vine leaves still opening up and looking pink. I really like the photo below........it is WEEDS silouetted against the lovely sunset sky. WEEDS! Finally, they are good for something!!


(Oh, shoot, I should have cropped out that weird little dark mouse-shaped cloud on the right. Sorry!)

Have a tremendous Tuesday! (Now I'm wondering who sang "Tuesday Afternoon"........that was a good song, too.)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was raised in a region where people didn't have graduation parties, then I moved to Michigan where they are BIG business. After getting over how much people spend on them, I was shocked by two things: that college graduations are never celebrated here and how much $$ people expect their guests to give as gifts.

Tuesday Afternoon? The Moody Blues!

Jeannelle said...

Hi caution,

Yes, big graduation parties are the style around here, too, and, in my opinion, they're way overdone. I don't know what people expect as gifts.....I send $5 to ones we're invited to but barely acquainted with, and $10 to relatives and good friends' kids. That will just have to be good enough, I figure.

I resist attending many of the parties.....often they're just so lame (only my opinion, again, of course) and we're not drinkers. I AM looking forward to going to the party mentioned in the post, though, because the mom is such a special friend.

I just found out about a couple who are eschewing the grad party for their daughter and taking a family trip to Europe instead! That's an alternative, I guess.

Have a wonderful day!

Pat - Arkansas said...

"Monday, Monday" indeed! You had a busy day. But, of course the sky needed it's picture taken!! Just beautiful! I love that greeny-pink of new grape leaves; such a soft color.

Judy said...

Beautiful photos...I love the field of mowed rye grass!

Country Girl said...

Ok. I'm trying this again. Jeannelle, something's wrong with my internet at home and I can't comment on certain sites.

Country Girl said...

Oh, good. It worked!

I just left this long-winded comment and it didn't work again!

So here's what I said: I love the grapevine picture with the sky. And I'm having problems at home with certain sites and leaving comments. So I'm visiting you while at work today.

I wanted to say that I pictured you taking that tangled vine picture while you were in the ditch the other day and that couple drove by wondering who the crazy photographer woman was! I do the same thing!!

And now I've gotta get back to work. It's busy here. But now I've got a song in my head (yes, thanks for that, Jeannelle!)

Monday, Monday . . . (but it's Tuesday)

Mary Connealy said...

Beautiful pictures, Jeanelle. Thank you for taking time for them.
I've done four graduations and it's amazing how much I changed from the first to the fourth.

The first one I was insane! paint, recarpet, flowers, decorations, food for about three times more people than came.

By the fourth, I'm, "Buy some ham, run the vaccuum, whatever."

The fourth way is best. :)

Jeannelle said...

caution,

Forgot to say: thanks for remembering "The Moody Blues".....I just couldn't think of the name of the group, although I could hear the music in my head.

*******

Pat,

Yes, and as I've said before, the camera helps notice things, and I'm not sure I ever was aware before of the pink color of the grape leaves as they open in the spring. It really is pretty.

*******

Judy,

Maybe you grow rye on you dairy farm, too.

*****

countrygirl,

Its nice to see your comment! Always a pleasure. Good luck as you work with your satellite connection.

*******

Mary,

Yes, been there, done that.....we went way overboard with the food, too, at our first child's graduation. Last year, we had our third graduation party, and it was much different than the first.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeanelle, I'm sending an email your way. Hope it doesn't land in your spam folder.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I love your sunset photos. They helped calm me a little. It's been a hectic Tuesday, Tuesday here.

Jeannelle said...

caution,

Don't worry...it didn't!


*********

Ruth,

Sorry to hear your day was hectic.....may tomorrow be better!!

Egghead said...

These photos are beautiful. I love to see each of these and just marvel at how each one can be so different. We always have large graduation celebrations here...from high school and also college. Lots of work but never regretted.

Anonymous said...

Boy I know what you mean by busy. It seems I have nary a moment to spare these days. I'm cleaning, planting, and blogging and cooking and I just can't keep up. I did lasagna yesterday and I couldn't even blog. Just no time. But I can't wait until the lazier days of summer when the garden is growing, and things have settled down. Such a crummy spring has really slowed everyone down.