Monday, May 19, 2008

SHADE in the Shade

The saying goes that "the road to a friend's house is never long", and I do tend to believe that is the truth. In my case, it can also be said that the road to a cemetery is never long, for all my life, I've lived less than a mile from an old cemetery.

Saturday, I left home to go to friend's house, and as I turned the corner near our farm, the gorgeous flowering trees in the nearby cemetery were clamoring for attention, prompting me to make a mental note to stop there later to take some pictures.

My friend and I went together to visit another friend of ours whose mother is very ill with metatastic brain cancer. (I've known these two friends since kindergarten.) We went to the farm where the mother lives, as her daughter was there caring for her on Saturday. I wasn't sure what to expect, but there was no need to worry, for my friend's mother was sitting on the sofa and seemed comfortable and cheerful, although not quite with-it, mentally. It was a pleasant visit; the woman's family is taking very good care of her.

On my way home, then, I stopped at the cemetery. Mostly, I was concentrating on the beautifully blooming trees, but then noticed something rather special.........this shaded tombstone engraved with the name "SHADE"! (I should have cropped the photo differently, but click on it, if you wish, to see the name better.) The SHADE family resting in the shade.

I've walked through this cemetery a handful of times over the years, mostly to browse for ancestors' graves-------I have a set of great-greatgrandparents buried here-------but I don't recall taking notice of this name SHADE before. There are no people by that name living around here, and I took a look in several phone books, also finding no one by the last name of SHADE. The family name must have died out in this area.

Near the large SHADE tombstone was this little, old one.......Samuel W.G., son of John & Hannah SHADE, died May 31, 1884, aged 10 months. Yesterday afternoon (Sunday), I went back to try and read the inscription etched at the bottom: "Sleep on, dear......God called thee home......He thought it best", were the words that could be deciphered without much trouble.
Obviously, a cemetery is a quiet, peaceful place to spend time in, and I thoroughly enjoyed my interlude there on this sunny Sunday afternoon. A very friendly cat showed up and followed me around amongst the tombstones, managing also to get into several photos! As I roamed around, more and more interesting things became apparent, and I hope to fit some of these tidbits into blog posts as Memorial Day approaches.

5 comments:

Mary Connealy said...

My mother in law has old obituaries cut from the newspaper of family members. They're so interesting to read.
Now newspaper obits are all business, but back then they're full of personal insights, always very flattering observations about the deceased.
There's an old cemetery near my home with some of the Connealy ancestors buried there. I haven't been there in years. I ought to go this Memorial Day.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Our subdivision is across the road from a cemetery, and I walk the dog there sometimes. There is one tiny tombstone set apart from any others, right next to a tree. It is inscribed with a single word: "Ruth." I always find that a little creepy.

I like your Shade in the shade though.

Jeannelle said...

Mary,

Yes, old obits are fun to read. Before she died, my grandma gave me a bunch she had saved over the years. Yes, they are very embellished and wordy. And, yes, go visit that old cemetery near you.

Ruth,

Oh, that is kind of eerie about the little tombstone with your name on it. It must be for a child, maybe?

abb said...

Kate (Country Girl) directed me to your post. I, too love cemeteries and spend a good deal of time in them photographing the stones. I also upload the photos into wwwlfindagrave.com - a volunteer site whose goal is to document every grave in the USA. You might even find YOUR relatives there! I've found several of my great grandparents there.
Your pictures are lovely.

Jeannelle said...

tsannie,

Thank you for your informative comment and kind words! I'm going to check out the "find a grave" website. I could easily get into taking photos in old cemeteries where there is peace and SO many interesting tidbits of local history.