Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Complaints & Chamomile

Everyone's in a grouchy, grumpy-slumpy mood around here; the summer doldrums have set in. Weeds keep shooting up....... as does the lawn......... as do the corn plants (which is a good thing).........as do corn prices (a bad thing if you need to buy corn to feed to livestock------$2.50/bushel a year ago, now $6.50/bushel------you do the math to figure out the increase in that grocery bill!). And, summer humidity has arrived.....and the neighbor's hog confinement building reeks to high heaven at night........ Never mind the fact that our farm and home were mercifully spared from the tornado, of course!! (Jeannelle, stop complaining and straighten up your thoughts!!)
************
************
Anyhow, if that isn't enough bellyaching, I'm also afflicted with that woman's disorder of feeling stupid and ugly, and desire nothing more than to find a scraggly weed patch to hide in. It looks like my canine friend, Buster, has the same idea. Maybe he'll allow me to join him! Believe you me, I know all about Buster's quirks and problems.......he hasn't had a bath in a coon's age (a phrase my mother has always used so I was curious to find out its origin), has halitosis, eats calf cleanings, licks cows' rears and other things, and is accompanied by a swarm of flies and gnats wherever he goes. He's probably desperately in need of therapy or medication, but, does he ever complain......NO!! He simply plops down happily in the nearest comfortable spot. He's an example for us all!!
************
************
Here's a plant with a small daisy-like bloom and fine, feathery leafing. I think it belongs in the family of Wild Chamomile, matricaria, also sometimes mistakenly called Mayweed.

And, if anyone reading this can enlighten me as to the name of the wispy grass alongside, please do so. Every summer, my whole life long, I've seen this graceful grass growing along field driveways and fence rows, but have never learned its true name. (I'm quite certain it is not Canadian Wild Rye.)


***************
***************
Actually, I'm glad our place has many weedy, uncivilized spots. Years ago, the first time I ever visited this farm with my boyfriend (Husband, now), I was taken aback by the numerous patches of weeds cluttering up the farmstead. Clutter it was to me back then, anyway, but over the years I've come to appreciate the variety of plants, and a couple wild plant books have taught me that even the most disgusting, annoying weed has a proper name, and a scientific name, and belongs to a family, bless its little heart! Plus-----amazingly-----it may have served a medicinal or nutritional purpose to native peoples long ago.
************
************
I tend to leave many weedy areas alone around the place, just to see what kind of plants will show up there. One of our milk truck drivers, who is also a science teacher interested in prairie environments, has told me that in any given area, there may be plants which are one-of-a-kind, unique to that particular locale! Isn't that cool!! Ever since he told me that, I've been less inclined to mow down every weedy patch in sight, even if it does mean our place looks a bit wild and woolly.
***********
***********
Happy July, by the way!! Summer is marching right along, as it always does. Enjoy it while its here!

10 comments:

rhymeswithplague said...

Happy July 2nd, Jeannelle! Because I am a Christian man, I cannot comment on your dog Buster's many and varied activities. Suffice it to say that for the circumstances he's in, he's in pretty great circumstances!

Whenever I have seen the word "chamomile" in recent years I am reminded that the actress Tyne Daly (remember her?) pronounced it kammo-myle on Judging Amy, whereas I have always pronounced it kammo-meal. It's funny how things get stuck in your head.

Let me just say, you are a veritable fountainhead of prairie flora information!

Anonymous said...

I envy that happy dog, too! He does what he wants without fretting what others will think. Lucky Buster.

Have you ever offered all your knowledge to a museum or nature group somewhere? You would be a wonderful guide/resource for them. My boys love your farm posts. I think you have educator written all over you, Jeannelle!

Jeannelle said...

rhymeswithplague,

I do remember Tyne Daly, but have never seen "Judging Amy"......I only recall her from that TV show in which she played a policewoman.....what was the name of that, anyway?

I pronounce it kammo-meal, too.....but, guess what, I just looked it up in the dictionary, and according to that the correct way to say it is kammo-myle!

********

caution,

Thank you for the touching comment....but, truly the most correct description of me is "random yacker".......and I should have named this blog that.

I'm glad your boys like the farm posts, and I need to do more of them. Right now, I have to walk over to the neighbors' to talk to them face-to-face about something very important, and I hope to catch a photo of some Brown Swiss cattle on the way.

*********

And to both of you......all the educational info about prairie plants and flowers comes from wonderful books.....not from me!

rhymeswithplague said...

Cagney and Lacey! Cagney and Lacey! Cagney and Lacey! (Anything I say three times is true, not counting my pronunciation of "chamomile.")

Jeannelle said...

rhymeswithplague,

Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou! But, I also cannot recall if Tyne Daly played the part of Cagney or Lacey, and the name of the other actress. I can see both their faces in my mind, but not the names.

Rachel Overton said...

Tyne Daley was Lacey.

Christine Cagney was played by...Sharon Gless!!

Wow, the things that get trapped in our brains. But I did like that show. :-)

Rachel Overton said...

I think. That name just popped out of nowhere, so who knows?!

rhymeswithplague said...

Yes! Rachel beat me to it. Sharon Gless did indeed play Christine Cagney, and Tyne Daley played Mary Beth Lacey.

The W.O.W. factor! said...

I remember Cagney & Lacey..and loved Tyne Daly in Judging Amy..
Weeds? to lounge around & stare at the horizons...being lazy...mmmm I wish I could do as Buster does..used to love to do that..in anothe place & time. Here, we have cheat grass which causes too many vet bills (gets in the dogs ears!) & ticks! Can't wait for THAT season to be over!
And corn prices....scarey!! Wonder how many people REALLY~TRULY understand how corn alone affects their total grocery bill...not enough....

Country Girl said...

I liked Cagney and Lacey, too. Never watched Judging Amy, though.

Jeannelle, you do have a lot of knowledge about nature. It's always interesting coming here. This post has some lovely pictures, too. Sorry I can't help you with the names of those grasses, however!

We all have days where we're down in the dumps. Celebrate the strengths you have, you know what they are, jeannelle! Have a wonderful Independence Day.