Thursday, July 31, 2008

Fascinating Flower Awards

This week there's been a flurry of awards traveling hither and thither amongst the blogs in the orbit of the blogosphere that I spend time in. In order to allow the wildflowers to get in on the fun, I've decided to bestow a "Fascinating Flower Award" on five very unusual, unique blossoms that are currently on display in the road ditch in front of our farm. These photos were taken yesterday morning.
****************
1. Culver's Root
Culver's Root, of the Snapdragon family, is saddled with the impossibly long scientific name of Veronicastrum virginicum. Other common names are Blackroot, Culver's Physic, High Veronica, and Tall Speedwell. The roots of this plant contain powerful chemicals that were used in folk medicine......so says my wildflower book, Tallgrass Prairie Wildflowers by Ladd and Oberle, published by Falcon Press.
************
************
2. Goat's Beard

I have done a previous post on Goat's Beard. This is simply its remaining seedhead. But what I hope you can see is the SHINY GOLD color of the strands, which makes this seedhead simply fascinating to gaze at as it shimmers in the late morning sun. It should be called "Gilded Goat's Beard" at this point!

*************

*************

3. Winter Cress (I think)***Update 8/1: I think it may be a type of mustard plant.

It might be something else......if anyone knows, just tell me. I could be wrong about anything. The scientific name of Winter Cress is Barbarea vulgaris.

*************
*************

4. Queen Anne's Lace - Wild Carrot


The queen is actually Daucus carota, and when her flowers age, they curl up into a cuplike shape, and even into a ball, like this one.Click to see Queen Anne's Lace in black & white.

************
************

5. Common Mullein


Also of the Snapdragon family, Common Mullein's scientific name is Verbascum thapsus, and it is just a very unique plant with an unusual shape to its flowerhead. Several years ago, I transplanted one from the ditch to the flower garden near our house........maybe not such a good idea, as the thing spreads like the dickens! Fortunately, it pulls up very easily, root and all.

************

************

There you have it.......the five Fascinating Flower Award-winners for today!

**********

**********


7 comments:

Country Girl said...

I think it's fascinating that you know all the names for these flowers. I see most of them all the time, yet didn't know half their names. Well done, Jeannelle!

Jeannelle said...

Hi, country girl,

Yes, it would be fascinating indeed if I was actually pulling these names out of my memory bank.....they are straight from a book!!

Thanks for stoppin in! Have a wonderful day!

rhymeswithplague said...

If that Winter Cress were Barbarella, I could better understand the vulgaris! (That's a little joke, I know vulgaris means "common.")

Caution/Lisa said...

Here's my confession: I don't even see these flowers even as I step on them.

Now for something more positive: I was reading a quirky little novel yesterday and there was a reference to detasseling. I was so happy to understand that reference! And to think I used to assume it had something to do with horses...

Laura ~Peach~ said...

love the flowers I am always facinated with wild flowers but have to admit I never bother with finding out their names ... they are eye candy to me!

Jeannelle said...

rhymeswithplague (Harold),

To get your joke, I had to google Barbarella.....ahem.


**********

caution,

"quirky"???? If that novel included detasseling, then it had to be a rather dirty story.....shame on you, caution!!


**********

Laura ~ Peach,

I like your name, although I just now had to search the keyboard to see where the ~ is located.

Please.....everyone.....I DO NOT KNOW the fancy names of these flower/weeds.....I look them up in a book!!

Pat - Arkansas said...

Purdy flowers, Jeannelle!:) And, hey... at least you know where to look in the book! Awesome!