Saturday, August 23, 2008

The Stolen Bride


Yes, a True Confession coming right up.........I look really concerned about doing such a thing, don't I......probably because I have nothing exciting to confess, other than I'm the typical Lutheran garden-variety "poor, miserable sinner".
**
First of all, a confession of stupidity........look at the photo and consider how idiotic I was back then in 1978: It was the middle of JULY.......there I was in a long-sleeved wedding dress, with a collar up to my 20-year-old double-chin and short neck. Whatever was I thinking?
**


Actually, the scene in the photo is of when I threw my bouquet, out in front of the Baptist church; and a wimpish, paltry throw it was, landing just a few feet behind me. The girl who nabbed it, I believe, has never married!!


****
****

Here's the who, what, when, where, and why of the theft of Jeannelle the Bride, a little over thirty years ago:
**
A bit of background on "bride stealing", what I believe must be an old, old tradition, probably dating back to Cave Man days when Ogg would come to Ugg's cave with club and clobber Ugg over the head and drag his woman by her hair back to his own cave. He'd of had trouble getting a grasp on my fine, thin tresses, that's for sure!
**
My Husband's people all came from northern Germany; perhaps bride-stealing was customary there, a tradition from the Dark Ages, when a nobleman would steal the poor peasant guy's bride and hold her for ransom; there was a ransom involved in my kidnapping, in fact. Or maybe a Viking gang from the next village would come to pillage and grab a bride for good measure.
**
At any rate, I, the blushing bride of just a few hours, was innocently conversing with guests at our wedding dance, when suddenly I was picked up by the feet and the shoulders by several men and hauled outdoors and stuffed into the backseat of a waiting car. Not to worry.......the driver of the car was a good friend, and my sister was there on the passenger side. We drove to the next small town and went into a tavern. I, of course, was in my wedding dress, and had no shoes on; the bleary-eyed beer drinkers at the bar grinned and stared. We may have sat at a booth for awhile and had a drink, I don't really recall. It seems like maybe we shot some pool, too.
**
Meanwhile, back at the dance hall in our absence, cash for a ransom was being collected in my shoe, being passed around the room. Much to my chagrin, my wedding dress had arrived way too short, so I had to wear completely flat ballerina slippers to the wedding. That conjures up a romantic image.......a silly, little, flat shoe being passed around.......an alluring high heel would have been better. But, it was only recently that I learned that cash during bride thefts was collected in a shoe; the cash had been given to us in a cigar box after the dance, so I had assumed that was used.
**
My captors and I stayed at the tavern for maybe a half hour, then headed back to the town where the dance was going on. There weren't DJ's back then; we hired a very local band to provide music at our dance.......real, live music!! Another memory that stands out about the evening was when my nine-year-old, Baptist brother gaped at me with wide eyes, incredulous that I was holding a can of beer and actually sipping from it! Good grief; I was thirsty, for crying out loud! Alcohol was outwardly a no-no in the household I grew up in, you see. 'Nuff said. I've never been more than a very light drinker, but certainly am not into teetotaling, as my brother is to this day. Our wedding dance indeed was the clash of two cultures........the imbibing, dancing German Lutherans VS the teetotaling, anti-dancing, goody-two-shoes Baptists. They had to mix sooner or later!
**
One more oddity........at the dance hall, I had kicked my shoes off onto the pile of other womens' shoes, and at the end of the dance, I could find only one of my shoes. Well, no matter.......I wasn't planning on wearing the dumb things again, anyway. About three weeks later, in the mail one day, I received a box with no return address on it, and inside, wrapped in newspapers, was my missing shoe! I have no idea who had it and then bothered to send it back. Maybe anonymous shoe-stealing is a wedding tradition I'm not aware of. Or was it about kicking a Goody-TWO-Shoes attitude?!
***
***
Maybe, just maybe........a SOLE-mate had the shoe!!
***
***
I'm wondering if bride-stealing still goes on anywhere? Or shoe-stealing? It didn't occur last weekend after my son's wedding. Is it a dying tradition? Too much of an invasion of the bride's privacy, perhaps. She has to be a good sport about the whole thing. Honestly, I didn't mind being stolen.......it was fun, and gave me a break from the crowd at the dance hall.
***
***
Have a great day!!
***
***
[If you were a STOLEN BRIDE, or if you ever STOLE A BRIDE........oh, do tell in a comment!]
***
***

13 comments:

Nancy said...

I was a stolen bride, and my husband was a stolen husband. In the tiny town where we got married there were few choices of where to be stolen away to. He got the tavern for a beer with my girlfriends and I got the local Casey's for a Mountain Dew I think. Unfortunately none of the people at the reception knew anything about the shoe and cash thing. My mom was pretty freaked out though and didn't realize it was a harmless prank at first. It sounds like the wedding went well, I've enjoyed seeing the pictures. Too bad you had too come home to the work of hay and sweet corn, you are probably ready for a bit of a break!!

rhymeswithplague said...

You heard it here first: I have never been a stolen bride, and I have never stolen a bride (except my own, away from her parents).

Come on over to my blog, Jeannelle -- there's an award a-waitin' fer ya!

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Nancy,

I'm happy to hear of another stolen bride, and a stolen groom, too.....equal opportunities are the best!! Thanks for stopping in and commenting!

********

rhymesie,

Did someone say "award"???!!! Why, I'll be right over!

Anonymous said...

Haven't been stolen but I always accused my husband of date-rape drugs because he could talk me into anything... still can.. but I can't find his magic powder anywhere...

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Never heard of this custom.

You look great in your wedding photo.

Anonymous said...

Nope, can't say as I ever heard of bride stealing before. It's a first Jeannelle! LOL

Caution/Lisa said...

I've read about it before but really thought it ended decades and decades ago. It was quite the tradition in the hills of Kentucky, but from what I've read, things could get very rowdy.

With all the talk of work and no a/c, you've really officially killed my dream of farm life. I'm going to celebrate by turning on the a/c and serving Taco Bell for dinner :)

Jeannelle said...

Hi, odd chick, Ruth, Sherry, Caution!

So, three of you have not heard of bride-stealing, and one has read about it. That's interesting. Nancy from Minnesota experienced it, and so did I. It must have occurred in pockets of the country here and there, brought over from certain Old Countries. I find the origins of traditions to be a fascinating subject.

Thanks for stopping by!!

Country Girl said...

I've heard of this tradition, but it's not one that I've ever participated in or been close to. I wanted to tell you, however, that I love what you did to this vintage (yes, vintage!!) picture of you in your wedding dress! Very clever, Jeannelle. And yes, what were you thinking with the long sleeves? Were you that shy that you didn't want to show any skin at all? That must be it!!

Jeannelle said...

Hi, countrygirl!

Yes, a 30-year-old photo would have to vintage! And, I have so few photos of my wedding day, compared to what gets taken nowadays at weddings. This was the only candid shot I had of myself not standing still posing.

Egghead said...

Jeanelle,

I have heard of the bride stealing but it didn't happen to me. My brother however, carted his bride off in a wheel barrow and had to run around a couple of city blocks with her. When my parents were married their friends went to their home and short sheeted the bed, switched around the salt and sugar and those kinds of pranks.

I love that photo of you in your wedding dress. It looks as though you had a good day.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, egghead,

Oh, funny, a groom pushing his bride in a wheelbarrow......maybe that's a tradition in your area. I just finding out about different wedding traditions. No one got into our house to short sheet beds or plastic wrap toilets, but I helped do some of that at my brother's house when he got married. I removed canned goods in the kitchen.....all in innocent fun, of course.

I wanted to post about shivarees, which used to be a tradition around here, but has died out.

Kat Mortensen said...

Hey Cindyrelli, Glad you got your shoe back. What a story! I love the "Goody two-shoes" bit; my mom always used to say that.

I have not been involved in the bridal highjacking of which you speak, but it sure sounds like fun!

I was late for my wedding - leaving my husband sweating, thinking I had stood him up. Not so! My matron of honour and I were back at my apartment playing, "I'm Getting Married in the Morning" from "My Fair Lady" and we just plumb lost track of time.

Kat