Friday, August 1, 2008

Summer Fling

Yeah, that's right.......every summer I have a fling with this handsome dude, and he can do some awesome flinging, let me tell you.......of grass clippings, of course!!

He and I get it on at least once a week, and more often when the weather is maintaining a certain hot, muggy pattern. Don't worry.......this physical relationship of ours is sanctioned and encouraged by Husband, because if it wasn't ME getting involved with this fella, then Husband would have to, and Husband is just not that kind of guy!

Each tryst lasts for several hours, and by the time he and I are finished I'm covered in dust and dirt, my skin crawling and itching, with pine needles inside my clothes and adorning my hair. Checking for ticks is necessary afterwards, too. Why I put up with such a relationship is beyond my comprehension!

(Yes.......sad to say........I override a safety feature........ for convenience sake.)

****************

Mowing through an area thick with fluffy dandelion seed heads results in this:

***************

Actually, my penchant for getting involved with lawnmowers goes way, way back. The farm I grew up on had huge lawns.......the front yard, the middle yard, the back yard, the windmill yard, the yards bordering the garden, and around the sheds. There were two push Lawn-Boys at our service, put to endless use by my sisters and I, who, as a result, enjoyed generous doses of exercise, sweating, and UV rays. When our brother grew old enough to mow........the parents purchased a RIDING mower for him to use! Figure that one out.

***************

For the first few years of our marriage, Husband and I rented a house on a farmstead near his parents' farm. Once again.......a vast expanse of lawn to mow........including a horribly steep ditch. And, as always, the task fell to little old me and an ancient, decrepit Lawn Boy push mower. Truly, I felt I would go mad at times, trying desperately to get the mowing done, for the feeble thing would invaribly start coughing where the grass grew just a little bit thick, then sputter blue smoke, die, and refuse to start again. Husband was never there when that happened, of course. I would plead with him to remedy this situation........he would fiddle with the mower; but, it would behave the same way the next time I used it.

One day, I became so frustrated that I simply drove to a town about ten miles away where there was a hardware store, and I purchased a BRAND-NEW Lawn Boy push mower!! Horrors.......something new........how dreadful........and without my husband's permission. He wasn't too happy about it.......too bad......I didn't care by that point. Some of you good, obedient, submissive wives may turn away at this confession.......that's OK. Sometimes a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. I was absolutely at the end of my lawnmowing rope, you see; I was responsible for mowing a gigantic lawn, but not given decent equipment to do so.......and the situation became intolerable for me. Sorry.

When we eventually moved onto this farm where we live-----where Husband grew up-----I had another gargantuan lawn staring me in the face every summer, weekly bursting its trappings like The Hulk. If you're a lifelong town person, you may not realize that most livestock farmers do not do lawnmowing......they don't have the time.......so the job falls to the wife and kids, and there's nothing inherently wrong with that, of course.......a wife and children need to be kept busy, or they might fall into who knows what.......blogging, perhaps. Idleness is the devil's workshop, you know. On our farm, though, the kids were usually helping their dad with barn chores, so the lawnmowing fun filtered down to me, as always.

For many years, I tolerated the cheap, clunky riding mower that Husband's parents had left here. They never believed in spending much money on lawnmowing equipment.....it was that old German frugality coming through......."Ach! The lawn don't make ya any money"! Finally.....and to my great joy......the old mower's shift lever broke off one day and we had to buy a different machine. I pleaded for a mower with hydrostatic shifting. Husband acted like he just couldn't understand why I might want that. Grr-rrr. Amazingly, we did upgrade to the more convenient shifting, but the mower we bought was still a cheap brand.......very wimpy and would plug up on a dime. I would meekly point out that most everyone else around the neighborhood used John Deere mowers, so maybe those were of better quality........Husband would just mutter, "No, they're too expensive."

Finally, two years ago, as spring and mowing season approached, I began reminding him of how poorly our old mower was performing. I said, "For Pete's sake......there is a huge amount of mowing to do here and much of it is rough ground and tough weeds......WE NEED A BETTER MOWER.......WITH MORE POWER AND STAMINA!!" Evidently, this time my complaining broke through a barrier in Husband's mind, and we actually went to a John Deere dealership and bought the mower in the above photos. It was not a new one, but was in very good shape, and has plenty of power to deal with the tough mowing conditions on our farm. I'm very happy with this mower......it is well-made and starts easily and is NOT a wimp! Its the type of mower I'm proud to have a relationship with!!

***************
***************

Here's a scene from in the shed, near where my dear lawnmower sleeps during the times between our intimate encounters. For the amount of energy you the blog reader expend to gaze at one piece of farm machinery........you get two, sort of........the tractor AND the nearby reflected hay baler!!


*************
Have you ever had a summer fling? Oh.....do tell!!
*************
*************

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

GLORIOUS STORY! My Mom and my dad had that neverending battle our entire lives. There were my brothers but they found girls in their teen years and it fell back to my mom. The war ended when he came home one day to find her bushhogging the front yard with his farm tractor. She got a brand new riding lawnmower the next weekend. Oh the memories you brought up. Thank you for introducing me to your blog.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

This is very funny. We're very bad. We hire people to mow our lawn. Michael has a bad back, and I have my hands full with all the other yard work, so there you have it.

I finally put up my award today. Thanks again.

Russell said...

Okay!!! I LOVE this post!! NOW you are talking my language!! Heh!!

If someone happens to see this comment, please know that the mower you see in this post is one of the best lawn mowers on the market! The John Deere 455 is a diesel powered, 22 horse power mowing machine! It is NO wimp by any means!! We are talking real power, all the time!

I have a JD 425 which I like very much and which is a great mower. But the 455 is, well, in a league of its own.

I can see why you enjoy your time with this machine!! I laughed at this post and will be thinking of it as I go out to mow later this morning!!!

I will check back in a day or so to see if someone answers your question at the end of your post!! Heh!! I laughed at your comment about having too much time on your hands and maybe doing something like ... blogging!!

Take care!

Egghead said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Egghead said...

Too funny....it kind of reminds me of the fact that my sisters and I used to milk cows by hand (no machines then) and by the time my three brothers were old enough to milk they upgraded to milk machines. So that meant my sisters and I wound up with very muscled arms. We could arm wrestle every guy in our high school and win...but that didn't make for a very great prom date.....unless we wrestled em to the ground and forced them to take us. Ha! HA! Just kidding on that part.

I mow our lawn as well but I don't have a John Deere...but I feel lucky not to use a push mower. When we first moved here before the riding mower it took me five hours to mow our huge lawn. My husband would not think of buying a riding mower that is until he spent one Saturday while I was away trying to mow. After two hours he said he came in, showered and went in and bought riding mower. Go figure!

Pat - Arkansas said...

Oh, Jeannelle! You are one fantastic story teller! My piece of ground is not large enough to warrant a riding mower, although I see folks in the neighborhood with the same size lots riding around on behemoths -- they are all men, BTW. Where the women do the mowing, it's all push mowers! Go figure! I am fortunate enough to have the use of a self-propelled push mower. Without it, I'm sure I would have to have someone else do the mowing. My stamina is not what it used to be. :(

Great post! That last photo (reflection) is wonderful!

Jeannelle said...

Welcome, Saddlegait!!

So glad you stopped in.....and verifed that these lawnmowing marital wars DO occur on farms!!

Come back soon!


**************

Hi, Ruth!

I'm ecstatically happy for anyone who finds a way to not be involved in lawnmowing!!


**************

Hi, Russell!

Wow.....I didn't know my mower was the top of the line! You're correct, it runs on diesel, which was a change from our former mowers.

Enjoy your quality time with JD 425today!!


***************

Hi, egghead!

Oh, both your stories are so funny.....what is it about boys that makes parents suddenly upgrade equipment for them???? But, it is good to have strong muscles......

And, yes......husbands are quickly enlightened when they actually have to do the mowing themselves....

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Pat!

Your comment sneaked in there after I published mine....

Oh.....how funny and how true.....men using riding mowers in little bitty town yards.....and women stuck with the push mowers, which they're better off with, anyway, for the exercise.

I never had a self-propelled push mower, but it sounds like a great improvement for users.

Judy said...

Oh yes...me and my JD have had our ups and downs already this year. Spring is more of an issue here...when the lawn grass is thick and wet! We have things under control now...and I rather like mowing lawns.

Anonymous said...

Lawn? Who has lawn? LOL. We have tried to mow, but the tree roots, the rocks sticking up, and the fallen limbs that hide in the grass, just eats up every mower. Parker has become adept at weed-eating an area to sit and trails to the places we need to get too. That's about all we can manage. But riding is the only way to go!

Markus Latva-aho said...

Very nice story, it's always like this when I come to your blog! Good pictures and fun reading.

Don't mean to be pushy, but I took some pics from finnish country side on my summer holiday, if you are interested:
http://pahakuva.blogspot.com/2008/07/maaseudun-tulevaisuus.html

I'm one of those, whose roots are at countryside and then my parents moved to more urban area:)

Jules said...

Thanks for your message Dive. The accident was horrific with a family devastated - their Mum killed, and her 2 teenage boys critically injured. The only saving grace - the youngest child got out with only scratches. Life is short so we must make the most of it everyday!!!

So in honour of that I have read your posts and had a good laugh - I needed it!!!!