Sunday, November 23, 2008

Christ the King Sunday

Today is Christ the King Sunday, the last Sunday in the traditional Church year.
Advent begins next Sunday.
*
Here is the oldest known icon image of Christ Pantocrator. It dates from the sixth or seventh century and has been preserved in St. Catherine's Monastery in the Sinai desert. Pantocrator means "almight" or "all-powerful". It was used to translate the Hebrew title, "El Shaddai".
Though I'm certainly not into icons, I do for some reason find comfort in this particular face of Christ. The eyes are eyecatching.......and despite the icon's age, the face looks oddly modern to me.
*
I have a habit of hanging things on trees. Yesterday morning's light etching of snow made the details of this iron cross stand out a bit. Otherwise, the cross is hardly noticeable against the bark on the tree trunk.
*
Many blessings to you this day!!
*

5 comments:

Deb said...

I love the cross on the tree. and you are right, it is hardly noticable.
Blessings to you as well...

Deb said...

I love the cross on the tree. and you are right, it is hardly noticable.
Blessings to you as well...

Adventure girl said...

And you as well:):):):):):)


p.s. I love learning so much at your place;)

DesertHen said...

Thank you for another informative Sunday school lesson. I learn something new here every Sunday and I so enjoy it.

Beautiful photo of the cross on your tree....=)

Happy Sunday to you and yours.

Jeannelle said...

Deb, adventuregirl, deserthen,

Thank you kindly for stopping by! Thank goodness for Sundays....what would life be like without them!