Saturday, November 22, 2008

Closer To Truth

Yup.......frightening though it may be.......these are my eyes. Sorry, I've never been into eye makeup or brow-plucking. My eyes are too deep-set for makeup, and I've worn glasses for nearsightedness since 3rd grade.......although, they were removed for this photo, obviously. I've not given in to bifocals yet, by the way.
Today, my eyes took in a fascinating new TV show on PBS.......Closer To Truth. My husband, son and I were eating lunch, engrossed in the Iowa high school football championship games being broadcast on Fox-28 from the UNI-Dome in Cedar Falls (by the way.......the football playoffs bring something like $3 million into the Cedar Valley each year). After the 1A game we watched a retaining wall being built on Hometime on PBS. Then it was time for the 2A game to begin, but I had been scanning the list of PBS shows and noticed one called Closer To Truth: ESP, on the new HD PBS channel. Hmm.......sounded like something I'd be interested in, so I shooed Husband and Son to the old living room to watch the football game on our tiny, old tube TV, so I could watch this HD show on our newer TV, which is HD-ready. Bossy and selfish, aren't I?! The guys didn't care, though, believe me.
*
Anyhow the show was fascinating. Here is one of the interviews from today's show. I agree wholeheartedly with Michael Shermer........that there is no "paranormal".......the fact is we simply don't fully understand the "normal" yet......we are largely ignorant of many of the workings of our own mind and the physical world. There were several other interviews in the show that are not on videos on the website yet. One was with Rupert Sheldrake in England, the scientist who developed a controversial "morphic field" theory. I've read about that before. Its how flocks of birds and schools of fish move in synchrony. Sheldrake claims this also occurs in groups of people who are closely connected emotionally by family or social ties. My older son---an electrical engineer---studied a similar theory in college in connection with electricity and magnetic fields. Fascinating! Sorry to be so weird.....but, I love this kind of stuff! The intersection of science and religion.......an intriguing crossroads!
*
By the way again.......today I also went to dtv2009.gov to order the discount coupon for buying an HD-converter box, which we will need for our two small tube TV's. After I applied, it said my coupons (you can order up to two of them) will be shipped on December 12. So.....if you're going to need an HD-converter box, you'd better order your coupon pretty soon.
*
Ok.......over and out.......that's all for now.
*

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm still stuck back on your comment that you haven't given into bifocals yet...

Jeannelle said...

Kacey,

Thanks for stopping by!

Haha......about ten years ago my eye doctor said to me, "You know you'll most likely need to get bifocals soon." I said, "Is that for sure?" He said, "Probably....although sometimes people with lifelong nearsightedness and astigmatism can get by longer without bifocals". Hooray....I fall into that category!

Anonymous said...

We bought our two converters at the local Target 2 weeks ago. Once they were plugged in, the TV that uses the roof antenna gets great reception on every channel, including channels where the reception had not been so great. (We don't have cable or satellite.)

The portable TV gets generally better reception on the channels it gets, but doesn't get all channels (such as the local CBS affiliate). The signals on other channels often break up, and you have to go through some menus in the converter to determine what antenna position gets the best reception. Other people I know have had very positive results.

But for me, it's a mixed blessing. Make sure you watch this short video, which will reassure you:

http://www.flixxy.com/digital-tv-conversion.htm

DesertHen said...

I too have worn glasses since grade school for the same problems that you have. I was also told that I might never need bi-focals for those very same reasons. I tend to take my glasses off while working around the house or on the computer,but I can never, never, ever be without them when driving!!

Thank you for the reminder about the HD-converter boxes. I will have to order my coupons soon.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, sempringham,

Thanks for the info and link concerning the converter box. Just today our son called and said that they bought a VHS to DVD machine to use and it is equipped with a digital converter, also. He was excited because now they can get the digital channels that are already broadcasting, like we can with our digital-ready TV.

We use an antenna which is in our attic.....its got to be at least 40years old. Our local phone company offers cable TV packages even to the rural customers, but it is just too expensive.

You talked about the converter having a menu....great.....another one of those to get used to.

Thanks again for your information!

*********

Hi, deserthen,

Oh....that's cool to know I might actually NEVER need bifocals! That would be fine with me. The thought of looking through eyeglasses with two different lens in them gives me a headache. I suppose a person gets used to it, but I'm not going to get them if I don't need them. Yes, I take my glasses off often around the house, too, and when I read. Too often, though, I put the glasses somewhere and then forget where they are, and can't see them.....I wish they could be paged like a phone handset! Like you, I must have my glasses on for driving. I finally gave in to buying prescription sunglasses a few years ago, and I love them!