Sunday, November 16, 2008

On Water, In Water

Today is St. Matthew, Apostle & Evangelist Day on the Eastern Christian Church calendar. (I have a calendar that shows saints' days from East, West, Anglican, Lutheran.) This stained glass window from St. Paul's Lutheran Church in Waverly, Iowa, does not show
St. Matthew, of course, but depicts St. Peter, Jesus' disciple who took a stab at walking on water, as related in the New Testament book of Matthew, Chapter 14. Peter became distracted by reality---poor guy---and slipped underwater after managing a few steps ON the water, apparently. Peter's supposed lack of faith is often the main focus of this Bible story. The story of
Jesus walking on water is also told in Mark 6 and John 6, but Peter's water-walking attempt is not mentioned there.
*
I wasn't happy with the color in these two photos. As I recall, this church window faces east and the morning sun would have been hitting it straight-on when these photos were taken, and maybe that's what caused the tones to appear washed out.
*
My traditional Church calendar also lists today, November 16, as the remembrance day for
St. Eucherius of Lyon. Interestingly, Eucherius defended the reading of Scripture in an allegorical sense. We don't hear much about that these days. I wish I knew more about allegorical thinking and interpretation. When I was young, in grade school, my parents gave me an abridged Pigrim's Progress. I recall reading that book over and over again, and I still have it. Especially, I recall when Pilgrim finally dropped his heavy burden at the foot of the Cross.......a good example for us all. Here's a paragraph from the book's introduction:
In the reign of James II of England, popular Protestant preacher John Bunyan (1628-1688) was arrested for "holding unlawful assemblies and not conforming to the national worship of the church of England." Because he refused to conform, he was cast into Bedford Jail in 1660, where he remained for twelve years.

While he lingered in what he called "this lion's den", he longed after his congregation who were his children in the Lord. In hope of strengthening their faith, he took his pen, and while writing,

Fell suddenly into an allegory........

And they began to multiply,

Like sparks that from the coals of fire do fly.

The result was The Pilgrim's Progress, now known as the world's most famous allegory.

*
St. Margaret of Scotland is also listed on the calendar for today's date. Supposedly, she was such a serious person that no one ever saw her smile or laugh. Goodness, I hope that's not the reason she was elevated to sainthood! Let's not emulate that humorless aspect of her personality.
*
For today.......LAUGH.......SMILE.......read a Bible passage and attempt to apply allegory to it.......and, don't dive into a risky endeavor unless you have the faith required to keep your head above water!

*
*

5 comments:

Deb said...

I so love the stained glass windows in the old churches. I could stand in front of them forever just appreciating the artist's ability but rethinking the bible story as depicted.
Nice advise to take heed today...read a bible passage...I'm off to do just that.

rhymeswithplague said...

Jeannelle, it's good to see some more stained glass windows! I had heard of St. Margaret, but I had never heard of St. Eucherius of Lyon. Today I am the pupil and you have been the teacher.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, deb, rhymsie,

Hope you had a pleasant Sunday. I had certainly never heard of St. Margaret, either, before today. Its odd that she's remembered for never smiling or laughing.....as if that is a virtue.

Adventure girl said...

I love your posts. I learn so much. I think those windows are gorgeous, along with the color.

Caution/Lisa said...

We have a St. Margaret of Scotland parish nearby and I've always wondered who she was! Thanks for the link.

I am going to "take a page out of your book" and post about a church on Wednesday :) What an inspiration you are!