Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thankful For Emptiness

Among the myriad blessings in my life, one I'm very grateful for today is this empty corner in my house:

Most likely, all of you who read my blog keep your houses neat-as-a-pin, and its doubtful you'll be able to relate to what I'm writing about in this post. But.....sigh......I'll write it anyway.
*
If you knew me as well as I know me.....which no one does, of course.......you would be cheering because my accomplishment of cleaning up a corner of the house means that my mood must be much better than normal for this time of the year. There have been other years when I felt simply paralyzed as the month of November wore on, with its diminishing hours of light each day, and the upcoming prospect of the holidays, when I'm supposed to be giddily cheerful and happy about everything. What a drag on my family I was at those times. Moms are supposed to be enthusiastic about Christmas decorating and shopping and baking, don't cha know. (Want to imitate a northern Iowa/Minnesota accent? Emphasize an "oh" sound in that phrase, "d-oh-n cha kn-oh-w". My daughter---who is a teacher/coach near Des Moines---gets teased about her "Minnie-soh-ta" accent all the time. And, in my opinion, her husband---who grew up in Des Moines---has a slightly southern accent---like Missouri people do. Funny how that all works. Sorry for the digression.)
*
Do you ever find it a struggle to be what you are "supposed" to be?
*
However, do you want to know what the salvation of my mood has been?.......On a practical, everyday level?........That's right, its BLOGGING. Oh, I could say, "God has freed me from my depression", and certainly, God, being all-knowing, all-powerful, and all that, deserves the credit for anything good that happens in our lives. But, I'm not comfortable talking about God very much. Oh, He's a given in my life, but I feel it can be a turn-off when people are always talking about Him. Talk is cheap---unless you're a professional speaker of some sort, of course. Actions are what counts. (That's not to say that my actions are always---or ever--- what they should be.) Of course, it could be that blogging is cheap, too......but, oh, what a depressing thought!
*
Also, please don't come to the erroneous conclusion that the rest of my house looks like this corner---free of clutter---because it definitely does not! But, at least there is this corner of peace and emptiness to which I can flee when the rest of the house and all the holiday responsibilities seem overwhelming. I'm determined to keep this corner cleared out.......oh, we will put the Christmas tree here......but, after that, I want to keep the area free of STUFF. Then when little ones are here they can play in this corner, or we can put up a card table here for games or for extra seating at mealtimes. Or I can just stand there within the emptiness and gaze blissfully out at the trees in the yard, reveling in this small space which is FREE OF CLUTTER!
*
*
Here's one of my favorite autumn decorations---a wreath of colored leaves made out of old barn wood. At least, I assume it is made from old boards from a farm building. I bought this unique wreath a few years ago at a local craft consignment shop. Its hanging next to the double doors in the photo above. (The porch beyond looks so white because its floor was covered with snow when I took the picture the other day.) I enjoy fall decorations and am sad when its time to take them down. Maybe I should just leave this wreath up! Hey......that's an idea......maybe I'll do that!

*
Here's hoping there's a peaceful, uncluttered spot somewhere in your house.......or in your mind......where you can retreat, even just for brief moments, whenever the need arises during the holiday season! If you don't have an empty spot.......then MAKE ONE!! Push some stuff aside and make room for a little peace and emptiness in your house and life. Take back something that belongs to you in the first place!
*
Happy Thanksgiving Eve!!
*

8 comments:

Adventure girl said...

Ah! Very nice post. I definatly do not keep a perfect house. I am redoing my living room so it clutter free right now;) I know what you mean about this time of year, seems lot's do in bloggy land. I am happy your are feeling great. Congrats on the clear corner;)

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I am so glad to hear the depression is staying at bay. I've been finding it easier this year too because I'm faithfully using my light therapy lamp.

I like the idea of trying to make one uncluttered spot. I'll have to think on that some more.

Caution/Lisa said...

Do you suppose it would work if I simply keep looking at the picture of your clutter-free corner?

Pat - Arkansas said...

I need to do a massive un-cluttering around my space. I have always had a hard time getting rid of things; harks back to lean times, I think, but I surely would feel better if I had some space. Thanks for your encouraging post.

maria said...

Hello,

So glad that you feel better and decluttered a corner so you can find peace.

I sympatize with you as holidays always make me depressed also. I can't understand why people expect you to be super jolly at this time of the year.

Maria

DesertHen said...

There is no such thing as a "perfect" house...whoever came up with that was nuts!! Even those with what they think are "perfect" clean houses are never satisfied.

I know exactly what you mean by "struggling" to be who you are supposed to be. There are times when I just won't be what I'm supposed to be! Wait, did that make sense???

(((HUGS))) to you Jeannelle. Have a Beautiful, Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving.....=)

Laura ~Peach~ said...

You and I are an awful lot alike ... This time of year is such a trial for me... to have worked so hard in the past month to declutter and clean my house has helped, but only time will tell how well it stays at bay... Bl;ogging is a life saver i think!
HUGSSSSSS and happy thanksgiving to you!

Jeannelle said...

Adventuregirl, Ruth, caution, Pat, maria, Deserthen, Laura,

Hugs to all of you, too!

As I baked rolls today I was thinking about how this time of year makes many of us feel down. And, how it seems to be connected with the diminishing hours of sunlight. Truthfully, I think I could happily hibernate from now until about the middle of January. Its things like that that make me think that evolution of some sort might be true. We probably are meant to simple hole up and rest this time of year. But, what are we humans expected to do, by other humans, of course......be all hip-hip-happy about the holidays and get-togethers and on and on......even when we don't feel at all in the mood for those celebrations.

Yeah, deserthen, I understand the "I won't" be what I'm supposed to be.

And, caution......if gazing at my decluttered photo helps you, then you owe me big time! I'll use your payment to buy more stuff to clutter up my corner again, and then I'll just stare at the photo, too!

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!!