Monday, January 5, 2009

Exiles in Casablanca

We happened to watch a most interesting show on PBS the other night, Cinema's Exiles: From Hitler to Hollywood. I had no previous awareness of this fact, but many stage and screen actors, writers and directors, who were very well-known in their native European countries, were forced to flee to the U.S.---and Hollywood's film industry---as the Nazis gained power in Germany.

*

In the late 1930's and early 1940's, many anti-Nazi movies were made.......Casablanca being one of them. Many of the minor characters and extras in that film were famous stage and film stars from Germany and France. This YouTube clip shows the dueling national anthems scene taking place in Rick's bar. The scene is filled with European film stars......meaning the tears glistening in the eyes of the young French woman were most likely prompted by authentic emotion. Casablanca is one of my favorite movies, and this new (to me) information about the cast makes me appreciate the film even more.

*

Here's a Casablanca quiz I posted last spring. The answers are here.

*

And, click to read a silly Casablanca-related story told to me last spring by a pair of feathered friends who happened to stop at our farm shortly after I posted the Casablanca quiz. Cool coincidence.

*

10 comments:

Gail said...

I love to learn. Did you know Sydney Greenstreet from the Maltese Falcon was my father's cousin?
Have a great day!

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Gail,

Hey, that's cool! He was Ferrari in Casablanca, too!!

Sydney Greenstreet Info

rhymeswithplague said...

Jeannelle, I hate to bring you back to the real world in such a startling fashion, but have you seen this?

www.businessandmedia.org/articles/2008/20081230165231.aspx

Jeannelle said...

Hi, rhymsie,

Yes, we have been hearing rumblings of a possible "cow fart tax" recently. Way back in the dark recesses of my mind, I've been toying with the idea of posting about it.

And, (sigh), you just had to burst my fluffy celluloid bubble here, didn't you. LOL

Gigi Ann said...

Quite an interesting post, I didn't know all that. And the comments are interesting also. What in the world is a "cow-fart-tax" anyway!?!? Hahaahaaahaaaa!

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Gramma Ann,

If you paste in that link in rhymeswithplague's comment, you'll be able to read about the new livestock tax that may be considered....its due to the methane entering the atmosphere from cow and pig burps and flatulence.

Gail said...

I am proud of Sydney Greenstreet but, thankfully, I do not look like him!

Anonymous said...

That was a good program, I saw it too.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I knew about the European refugees. (My husband has a degree in film and video so he tells me all this stuff.)

Casablanca just may be my favorite movie of all time.

Country Girl said...

LOVED this, Jeannelle! I loe Casablanca, too. Thanks for the tidbit of information. Makes it all the more interesting.

Love your new blog background!