Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Acrobatic Leaf

Yesterday afternoon I was sitting in a pathetic old wicker chair on the porch, hunched over a tabletop piled high with bills, envelopes, stamps, a checkbook, a calculator, and a stapler.
I should be ashamed to say that the pleasantness of the warmish breeze, the gaily chirping birds, and the gently sighing pine trees had slipped from my awareness. My absorption in the depressing stack of bills in front of me was total.
*
At some point I opened up the laptop computer to check the day's blogpost and almost without thinking clicked the start arrow on the Harvey video. Once again, I laughed out loud over Veta wryly saying, "Oh-h, yes.....Elwood SEES someone, alright." As the video neared its finish, a fluttering sound on the window screen caught my attention.......a leaf was spinning rapidly there, as if on an axis. I walked over to take a closer look; the leaf was impaled on a tiny pine needle which was stuck in the screening. I ran into the kitchen to grab my camera, but to my chagrin the leaf's dance had stopped by the time I returned to the porch. It was quivering just the slightest bit in the breeze, though, as if its animation might restart at any second, so I stood and waited, camera ready.
*
Apparently, the talented leaf needed a few minutes of rest between acts, perhaps to gather courage for its grand debut on the stage of blogdom. It seemed the little leaf had dropped by just to brighten my mood. Actually, it seemed more like a bird than a leaf. Perhaps it was a sort of pooka or fairy.
*
Without further adieu, may I present.....for your viewing pleasure......
"The Amazing Acrobatic Leaf "
(Be sure to watch closely for the very brief encore appearance at the end.....and, please hold your applause until the performance is finished......thank you!)

8 comments:

troutay said...

Too coolio! I notice things like this too. I just don't ever have a camera around when I need it.

Gigi Ann said...

Applause!!!!That was a wonderful performance. Do it again!!!

Pat - Arkansas said...

:::applause!:: Such things are heart-lifters! Thanks for sharing.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, troutay,

Yeah, I rarely do, either, but just happened to be near enough to grab the camera for this one. Have a great day!

*********

Hi, Gramma Ann,

Thanks for stopping by! The little leaf really brightened my day!

********

Hi, Pat,

That's a lovely way to put it....a "heart-lifter"! Enjoy your day!

Leenie said...

Yup, definately an invisable pooka or a "sign" from another dimension. Cool video. Jealous of your weather being mild enough to enjoy your porch.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

That is very cool. I love the dappled light too.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Leenie,

Yes, it was really a treat to be out on the porch that day. Today was too cold again, though.

********

Hi, Ruth,

The sunlight was lovely out there, yes it was. Thanks for stopping in!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm, ya, but he didn't say TADA at the end... what's the matter with him anyway? LOL

DI
The Blue Ridge Gal