Saturday, March 14, 2009

Afternoon Walk

Here’s some immensely exciting news for you! I went for a walk this afternoon! In sunshine…..and the proof is here in the spindly shadows of this hay rake:

Mar 14 030

Trilling high in the treetops was a band of redwing blackbirds. They haven’t yet descended to their roadside fenceposts.

Mar 14 053 (2)

The ground was solid enough for venturing on foot to the sandhill hayfield. At one point I looked down and saw this portion of a ceramic White Crown fruit jar lid---a relic from long ago. Several years ago I found a complete, unbroken White Crown lid in the field and it just so happened that shortly before that I had purchased a lidless White Crown canning jar…..at a thrift store, or a garage sale, or on eBay, I don’t remember exactly, but now I had a lid to go with it!

Mar 14 036 These next three photos were taken from the hayfield, with the zoom all the way on, thus they are a bit blurry. See the buildings in the background…..they are new, erected on the site of one of the farmsteads destroyed by last May’s F5 tornado.

Mar 14 039 Here’s another place that was destroyed……sheds and a house have been rebuilt:

Mar 14 042

Shown in this next scene is the farm I grew up on, several miles away. Its looks entirely different than it did before the tornado. There formerly was a round barn there and lots of red buildings, surrounded by a windbreak of trees. All that is gone now---a farm’s history down the drain, which is fine---the main thing being that no one was hurt or killed. The shed and bins are new since the storm. My brother had the shed built extra-strong and he’s in the process of building a concrete house, also.

Mar 14 048

And lastly, for good measure…….a junky conglomeration for your viewing pleasure (or displeasure):

Mar 14 047 Hopefully, there is sunshine where you are this weekend!

14 comments:

Gail said...

Spring is getting closer!

Anonymous said...

Love the hayrake shadows - too cool! We've been doing an addition to the house, and found a whole lid here too :)

Egghead said...

Jeannelle thanks for the walk. I love to see things there through your eyes.

Leenie said...

Wow! That F5 came way too near. A tornado in the same state is too close for me. We get all kinds of rotten weather in Idaho, but a twister is not on the list. Loved the rake shadow shot.

Laura ~Peach~ said...

COLD foggy rainy and COLD here ... pouts

Marg said...

I can't imagine living in a place with tornadoes and rebuilding...
It must be difficult especially in farming...
I love your new template and profile.It's a great shot of you sliding who knows where.

Flea said...

Spring is springing! Love the shadow photo. :) And I won't see sunshine this weekend, as I'll be sleeping.

Laura mentioned that you might be interested in the bovine visitors. I'm there mom. Could we discuss a visit in the near future?
fleabyte@gmail.com

Thanks!

troutay said...

Your warm day yesterday will be ours today. It is supposed to get up into the 50's and I can't wait. Living in the suburbs in my older years makes me long for the country lanes of my youth. Thanks for asking us along on the walk.

Sempringham said...

Thanks for tour! The hay rake shadow picture is definitely a keeper.

I'd think living that close to such a destructive tornado could be life perspective changing event, even though you escaped. I see you have 13 posts on the tornado in your archive, so I'm off to read them.

rhymeswithplague said...

No sunshine here, just lots and lots of rain, two or three inches predicted and warnings of possible flooding. What happened to the Spring weather we had a week ago when the temperature soared to 80 degrees? Gone with the wind, I suppose.

The sunshine in your posts will do nicely until Spring returns.

rhymeswithplague said...

P.S., Jeannelle, do you ever read Dr. John Linna's blog? He is a retired (I think) ELCA pastor in a small town in Wisconsin. His weekday posts can be a little silly, but his Sunday ones are usually quite thought-provoking and well done. Todoay's is called "The Not So Nice Jesus" and it's at fortresslinna.blogspot.com

Country Girl said...

I find that I am enjoying taking walks this way. However, it is doing nothing to help me lose weight!! Ha!

Jeannelle said...

Many thanks to each one of you for stopping by and commenting! Flea, I will get in touch with you. And, rhymsie, thank you for the link.

Anonymous said...

Tornados are so frightening.... daughter;s family lives in Cedar Falls... glad they have a basement to go to during storm season.

Love the hay rake photo! Such a great shot.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal