Friday, March 13, 2009

Do You Bare Arms?

Here's a link to an article from a recent Waterloo Courier:

“Right To Bare Arms: Michelle Obama’s Toned Biceps Spur Envy, Imitation”.

*

The article prompted some thoughts........

Most certainly, Michelle Obama is beautiful and the same can be said for her arms. Never in a million years could my arms ever look as good as hers…..even if I did the weekly limb workouts that Michelle does. How do I know that? Because she possesses something crucial that I don't: WIDE shoulders attached to those lovely arms. See the fabulous green dress Michelle is wearing……look at the way the straps are fashioned……hanging assuredly on capable, wide-set shoulders. That style would never stay put on my narrow, rounded shoulders. No how, no way.

obama

(Photo by Saul Loeb/AFP)

*

From my first days of wearing the dreaded undergarment of the female upper torso, there was a constant battle between slipping straps and my sloping shoulders. Front-hook and racerback designs had not yet been discovered back then (male designers were mesmerized by the challenge of the back clasp, for some reason), so there was no recourse but to wear the only style available; it had straps attached in a widely-spaced manner which placed them precariously on either edge of my measly shoulders. Cliffhanger straps, they were. All through junior high and high school, I employed the disappearing hand trick every few minutes, dip-scooping deep inside my collar to retrieve straps which had slipped waywardly down my arm. I rarely saw other girls make similar moves, but it took me years to figure out that my narrowly-built shoulders were to blame. As the years went by, poofy sleeves and shoulder pads were good friends of mine.

In recent years, when I was required to shop for "alluring" MOB* apparel, followed a year later by a search for a "youthful" MOG* frock, my exasperating shoulder shape was definitely a factor, winnowing away many of the dress choices displayed in the stores. (As a side note……I was at a mens’ formal-wear shop recently, accompanying my son who was getting measured for a prom tux. While waiting, I perused a catalog of 2009 wedding dress styles. Guess what! Straps and sleeves are coming back! Like I care, of course……but I can hardly believe it because strapless styles have been all the rage for several years.)

Anyhow, back to Michelle Obama’s gloriously toned arms. I am truly very happy for her and as far as I'm concerned she can show those arms off whenever she wishes. However, fashion designers better not get the inane notion that the rest of us women harbor a burning desire to gad about in a bare-armed state. I go sleeveless here at home in the summertime, for yardwork or fieldwork (Got to get that tan, you know, for vanity’s sake, and I do tan very easily, though its a rather pointless pursuit anymore, really.). How pleasant to feel the warm breeze on bare arms, however…..I can hardly wait for that. Sunshine on the skin is good for lifting moods and prompting our bodies to produce vitamin D, but I wouldn’t be caught dead leaving the farm with bare arms at this point in my life.

When I go out in public, like for shopping or church, I don’t wear any sleeve shorter than a 3/4-length. That’s just about right, as forearms tend to keep their shape fairly well, relatively speaking. Why upper arms can’t just stay shapely on their own, too, I’ll never know. No, they have to get thick on top with muscles and then sport a droopy handle of fat underneath, too. What an attractive combo. My upper arms have always been rather bulky anyway…..my wrists and elbows are large, too, for some strange reason. My arms are extra long, also. A grand mix: narrow, rounded shoulders and long arms. Its hardly any trouble at all for me to be convinced that slumpy, round-shouldered, long-armed apes might inhabit the far distant branches of my family tree. Blouses and button-cuff shirts never fit me right…..the sleeves are too short and the cuffs won’t button. Its an uncomfortable hassle to deal with, so I never wear such shirts or blouses…..ixnay on the ousesblay. And, you know those nifty, stretchy-woven shirts with the 3/4-length sleeves that button just below your elbow......well, I wear them, but with the cuff buttons undone to accomodate my arm's girth. Sigh.

Sigh again. Over the next unknown number of years, I will gaze wistfully at the First Lady's beautiful, photogenic arms, knowing that such are not in the cards (or photos) for me. But, as long as I have arms to utilize, that’s all that matters!

Raise your hand (and, arm, of course) if you agree that Michelle Obama has gorgeous arms!!

Also......here's the article that goes with the photo above.

*

[*MOB = Mother of the Bride, *MOG = Mother of the Groom]

*

22 comments:

Kat Mortensen said...

You really had me wondering what the heck MOG and MOB were - I thought you had joined some weird club.

I have small shoulders. In fact, I have a very small upper body period. My biggest complaint is with dresses -especially sundresses. The straps usually have to be cut and tied to make them fit. I'm a 36B in a bra, but that's pushing it with the "B". Most of the time, I just wear tank tops under everything.

I'm inheriting that underarm dangle from my mom (it's not too bad yet, but unless I start pumping iron, I'll be carrying around some flabby flaps).

Don't get too much sun! I hope you're wearing your sunscreen, girl.

Kat
Oh, and yes, MO has gorgeous arms.

Deb said...

As for me, I bare my arms in the privacy of my own home. I even gross myself out when brushing my teeth and seeing my arms wave. Seriously!

Country Girl said...

I was blessed with wide shoulders. A swimmers body, I was told once. But toned arms are a thing of the past for me. Michelle's are pretty inspirational, though. Maybe something I can attain some day?

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Kat,

I would never think of wearing a sundress, believe me. As you say, it would need to be altered or be a halter style, but that's not my thing, either. I love the sportsbras....if only we'd have had that style around in high school....it would have been so much more comfortable.

*********

Hi, Deb,

I hear ya! I feel the same way when I look at my uplifted arms, so I try not to look!

*********

Hi, Country Girl,

Get outa here, swimmer-shouldered girl! Just kidding. I'm happy for you! Keep your arms in shape by continuing to lift the camera up to take those gorgeous photos!!

Anonymous said...

There’s also Burts Bees, which I didn’t list here because I have to say, it’s not my favorite.  It’s not a bad line, and it’s inexpensive and available everywhere, but I’ve had mixed results with it.   My son also ended up with a rash on his belly from the Baby Bee lotion, and I know of one other person who had the same problem.  

Nancy said...

No baring arms here. Ever since a little guy at school asked me what those bumps on my arms were. Turns out is was my arm fat so now I'm very self conscious about it and only wear short sleeves if its very hot. Same goes for shorts needless to say. It would be a dream to have arms like Michelle Obama.

troutay said...

Jeanelle:

Go and look at pictures of women from the victorian era and earlier. You will notice that they had shoulders like yours and those shoulders were considered beautiful.

Lois said...

Hi, Christine,

Thanks for stopping in with the info!

*********

Hi, Nancy,

Oh, that's cute....."out of the mouths of babes" come uninhibited questions. Yeah....no shorts here, either....at least not out in public. Capris are nice; I'm thankful they came into style.

********

Oh, troutay,

What sweet words of consolation for me and my narrow, rounded shoulders. Now I know for sure that I was born at the wrong time.....

Jeannelle said...

That previous comment was from ME, Jeannelle.

Gail said...

I try not to bare anything, those few unannounced visitors have been welcomed with me in a tshirt and panties.

However, I do bear arms.

alphabet soup said...

Oh, I have to absolutely agree with you about sloping shoulders and straps on clothing of any description. Not to mention shoulder bags.

However - I do have to say that I sometimes throw caution and good sense to the wind during really hot weather and bare my arms. Shock, Horror!!

Ms Soup

Anonymous said...

I hadn't notice Michelles arms. But I always notice when my bra straps slide!

Gigi Ann said...

Like Nancy, I haven't bared my arms since a young girl asked my why my arms looked like fish scales? I looked at my arms and had to agree, so I went home and put a bottle of lotion on them for a few days and the scales when away somewhat. I have very dry skin, along with the jello arms that we older people develop as we age! ;) Will I ever see MO arms again? Not in this lifetime!!

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Gail,

Oh, yeah, don't you hate when that happens!

********

Hi, alphabet soup,

Me too, here at home. Folks will have to come here if they want to see my upper arms....

**********

asthsma girl,

Yeah, that's why I love racerbacks!

*********

Hi, Gramma Ann,

Oh, that's cute...."jello arms"! Mine are on the road to that.

Egghead said...

I have wide shoulders as well but no one ever called me a swimmer....I think more like a football player. I do agree Mrs. O has lovely arms and like Country Girl, perhaps that should make me begin to tone up a little.

Flea said...

Oh now see - now I need a photo of your upper arms. From your description, I'm imagining something grotesque. That just can't be right.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Egghead,

Yes, certainly there are no excuses for you wide-shouldered girls not to get busy and tone your arms in honor of the First Lady. The rest of us will rest our narrow shoulders and watch! :)

********

Hi, Flea,

Thanks for visiting! You know how it is.....sometimes we are over-critical of ourselves and that is true of how I view my shoulders.

DesertHen said...

Michelle has grogeous arms!

I'm pretty brave and I do bare arms in the spring and summer.

I have wide shoulders and long arms that need some serious toning at this point in time!

DesertHen said...

Michelle has grogeous arms!

I'm pretty brave and I do bare arms in the spring and summer.

I have wide shoulders and long arms that need some serious toning at this point in time!

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Deserthen,

Ah, another lucky wide-shouldered girl.....I'm so jealous! Not really. Thanks for stopping by!

GeckoGirl said...

Hi Jeanelle:
I wouldn't say I have narrow shoulders, but they aren't wide either. My straps sometimes take a journey south, but I absolutely love racerbacks!!
I own at least 2 maybe more if I clean out those drawers? I'm lucky at this point I don't have the "arms that wave bye bye" for you but they run in the family( thanks mom) think I'll start toning them while I have the strength and perserverance.

Anonymous said...

I say 'if you got em flaunt em'. Michelle looks fabulous and gives all women much to aspire to in many ways besides the looks of her fabulous arms..... the media needs to move on to subjects of more importance when it comes to Michelle Obama.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal