Monday, April 6, 2009

Solitary Gull

Here's a closer view of the solitary gull who hung around my tractor on Friday while I was chisel-plowing. (You can click on any of these photos to enlarge them to full-screen.)
I was unaware that gulls had webbed feet......one of his is visible in the above photo.
*
Wow.....he felt comfortable enough to sit down and rest a spell, even with the noisy tractor roaring by.
In the dictionary, the word gull can also mean,
"one who is easily duped; simpleton; fool". Perhaps my gull friend was a holdover from April Fool's Day!
Eventually, off he flew. Sorry for the next tipsy view; it was from inside the tractor cab.

This next photo is for anyone with a hankering to see the tail-end of a meadowlark. Sorry, I hurriedly snapped the shot when I heard his melodious song, oblivious to which direction he was facing. He's the first meadowlark I've seen this spring.
Here's how the newly-planted oat field looks this morning. Don't worry, the snow won't hurt the oat seeds, which rest comfortably several inches down in the soil. My husband echoes an old farmers' adage that oats grow best when they've been snowed on once. Hopefully, it will be only once. Its time for spring to act like spring!
I'm hoping the southern states did not experience the damaging freezes forecast to occur last night.

9 comments:

Kat Mortensen said...

I loved the "tail-end" of the Meadowlark. Reminds me of the injured bird my dad rescued and brought in the house. He strung up a line of drapery wire (in my bedroom!) and he perched there (precariously, as it had no tail-feathers), but sadly we couldn't get it to eat and it died.

Love the gull shots. Check out "Gull Loot" on my blog when you get the chance.

Kat

Anonymous said...

Nope,,, no snow here in southwestern Virginia. You got a pretty dusting though... nice picture!

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Jeannelle said...

Oh, Poetikat....what a memory! Your dad sounds sweet and tenderhearted!

********

Hi, Blue Ridge Gal,

I'm glad to hear you have no snow, and hopefully no bad freezing, either.

*******

WISH ME LUCK.....I'M OFF TO THE DENTIST! FUN, FUN!

Country Girl said...

You know, Jeannelle, this is why I come here. Lazy gulls hanging about, meadowlarks with big butts, you know, stuff like that.

Mary Humphrey said...

Wonderful photos...all of them. :)

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

Great pics! The first time I rode with my brother while he was seeding, all these gulls were flocking behind the plow. I was totally mesmerized. They are so fun to watch and the noise is unbelievable!

Gail said...

Freezing here but no snow. Hope the fruit blooms survive.

Leenie said...

Thanks for the photo of the meadow lark--from whatever end you could get :D. I love their song! I hope we have them here soon. It is finally warm enough here that the crocus and tulips are poking out.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Country Girl,

Its my pleasure to provide for your enjoyment! Haha. Thanks for stopping in.

*******

Hi, Mary,

Thanks for your visit and the kind words!

********

Hi, boylerpf,

Interesting! I'm going to check to see where you are from.....maybe near an ocean or lake?

*********

Hi, Gail,

Snow would make things worse, most likely? I hope, too, that all the fruit buds survive!

********

Hi, Leenie,

Yes, I love the meadowlark's song, too! I would think if they're in Iowa now that Idaho can't be far behind!