Thursday, May 28, 2009

Daughter’s Birthday

SAVE0003

I love these little people; and it is not a slight thing when they, who are so fresh from God, love us.

----Charles Dickens

*

Today is my eldest child’s 28th birthday! (Her "golden" birthday......28 on the 28th!) This photo is from around the time of her first birthday. She looks just like her dad in this picture.

SAVE0003 (3)

And, this next photo was taken right on her birthday. Can you believe it……I made that dress she’s wearing! (Good grief.....see that bread bag in the background.....I used to save them!)

SAVE0003 (2)

These last two photos were taken in the Twin Cities around the time of my 24th birthday in June. Daughter was beginning to master the fine art of balancing in order to walk on her own.

SAVE0003 (6)

Here’s two weary ones---a mom and a thumbsucker---sitting at a Twins baseball game at the Metrodome in Minneapolis. (I recall my kids sucking their thumbs and rubbing their clothing or a blanket when they were tired.) That stadium was rather new then and the word now is that its to be torn down in the near future. Tsk, tsk. Seems like a waste.

SAVE0004

Sure wish I could go back and spend a day with that little one-year-old girl again.....not to mention a return to being young and slim!

*

Happy Birthday and God’s Blessings, Dear Daughter!!!

*

18 comments:

rhymeswithplague said...

The Dickens quote is wonderful and the old photos are lovely.

Our three are now 41, 43, and almost 45. But how can that be, when I am only 38????

Time and tide wait for no one.

Laura ~Peach~ said...

happy birthday DD :) love the pics!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your once little bundle of joy who is now all grown up.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Trisha said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter!
Those "pop bead" things in the one picture - I totally remember playing with those! I loved them!

Caution/Lisa said...

The happiest of birthdays to your beautiful daughter! What a sweetie!

P.S. What did you do with those bread bags?

Leenie said...

So this must be the art teacher daughter with the eye for photographing disabled farm implements, not the daughter with the talent for barn karaoke. Happy Birthday to her and Happy Birth Day to her mom.

Midlife Roadtripper said...

"Sure wish I could go back and spend a day with that little one-year-old girl again"

The skinny part is a nice idea, too. I'd take that. Oh, how fast they grow. Lovely quote and pictures.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, rhymsie,

You're as young as you feel, right? Even if the kids are older than you feel.

*******

Hi, Laura,

Thank you for the wishes.

*******

Hi, Blue Ridge Gal,

Thank you for the kind words.

******

Hi, Trisha,

Yeah---me, too---I recall playing with those colorful beads. Are they still sold, I wonder. Too simple a toy, probably.

********

Hi, Caution,

Thank you for the wishes, too. If I recall correctly, the bags were stuffed into a cupboard and eventually thrown away. I'm a saver, unfortunately.

*******

Hi, Leenie,

Yes, that's right....this DD is the art teacher/coach with a very busy life.

*******

Hi, Midlife Jobhunter,

Yeah, I'd love to go back to then.....it was before I knew much of anything about life.

Gail said...

The Dickens quote is amazing!

Happy Birthday to your daughter.

Country Girl said...

Beautiful quote. And happy day to your beautiful daughter.

Bread bags, eh? You were quite the thrifty one.

Flea said...

Oh her early photos are darling. I love the dress! And those glasses - what big eyes you have! :) Ahhh ... those were the days.

Jeannelle said...

Hi, Gail,

Thank you for your good wishes!

********

Hi, Country Girl,

Thank you for your greeting, too. I was quite the idiotic one.

********

Hi, Flea,

Yeah, glasses have changed alot since then, thank goodness.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting the fun pictures and nice quote on my birthday, mom!
Sometimes, I wish I could go back to that time too, little kids are so carefree :)

Kat Mortensen said...

I loved this post! Your older photos are so charming - they take me back too. My mom has a picture of me in a yellow laundry basket when I was about the same age as your daughter was in the top one here.

You look very happy in the photo with her on your knee.

I did not know that "golden" birthday term.

Oh, and I forgot your birthday is coming up too. Mine's the 24th and I can't remember when yours is (I am SO bad for dates). Send me an e-mail with it, so I can mark the date. Okay?

Kat

Jeannelle said...

Hello, Dear Daughter,

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment, too!

Love, Mom

*******

Hi, Poetikat,

Thank you for your kind words! That's cool we have birthdays only a few days apart!

Your "golden" birthday was when you turned 24. At least, that's what people call it around here....I don't know what the reasoning on that is.

Egghead said...

Oh she was adorable and happy birthday a little late.

DesertHen said...

What a wonderful birthday post to your daughter. Loved seeing all of her baby photos...=) Happy Birthday wishes for your daughter! =)

Patty said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter. My son was 29 a few months ago, so I reconize those toys. Time sure does fly by in a hurry.